Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Instead of Toads, I am going towards Toads 2.0 is what I mean. Hopefully they will handle the heat a little better.

I think that will help a lot.

My first ones, I still have 2 boys and 1 hen , are a mixed heritage roo/ cx hen. The boys lost the comb points and toenails over the winter. Had a really damp week and the temps were just below freezing when this happened... Freezing rain was not their friend...and last years breeder died in the spring from water belly. Several hens died in the spring too from heart or water belly...But so far they have taken the heat/humidity, real feel was 114f, air temp was 97 in a string of 5 real feel days at or above 100f. But the boys are looking rough... Have some offspring from this year to pick from for next years breeder boys though

The Toad is a 4 step process,

The first Generation is Cx crossed to CX,, That is known as a frog

Next Generation is a Frog to a Dixie Rainbow, This becomes a lizard
Then the lizard is crossed back to the CX.

That gives you a toad, it is 7/8th CX and 1/8 Dixie rainbow. That little Rainbow gives a bigger bird that does not eat itself to death.
They are huge with more dark meat to white meat ratio. They are not lazy slobs.

The hard part was keeping CX's alive long enough to breed them. The Toads are not problem. They seem to live longer than the CX's.
Where do I find these??

I have always heard CX are too big to breed. Do you have to AI them?
Have to restrict feed and free range them... keep the healthiest, breed them as soon as you can... They don't last long.... I kept a hen and bred her to a mix heritage roo.. she lasted about a year.. bred her son and daughter
They aren't toads, but they dress out a couple of pounds heavier than a heritage cockerel most are 6 lbs dressed at 15-16 wks

If i buy a1 month CX a start restricting it's diet, would it do okay or would everything inside of it already have grown too much to save?
Don't really want to have to raise 1 old chicks
worth a try, get the smallest ones you can find. .. if nothing else you will have meat
usually after they are a week old the feed is restricted

If i buy a1 month CX a start restricting it's diet, would it do okay or would everything inside of it already have grown too much to save?
Don't really want to have to raise 1 old chicks
feed them 2x a day all they can eat in 10 minutes... make sure they have water and grit.. and they have a big yard they can look for food in.. the exercise make the difference.
I had mine in with layer chicks the same age and that helped them roam around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom