Tobias.. King of the Coop

Bonkerelli

In it for the chickens
Jan 1, 2022
I would like to share a story and give updates about my new rooster Tobias and his ladies. But before I start talking about him I have to give a backstory. When my husband found out about the Serama breed he couldn't stop watching YouTube videos. More specifically Serama roosters crowing. When the County Fair came to town there was a small handful of Seramas featured in the poultry section. Once he heard a Serama Rooster crow in real life.. he was hooked.

Fast forward a month later I devised a plan to get him Serama hens for his birthday. For at the time we had 3 roosters. Found a local breeder but the breeder really needed to get rid of this particular rooster named Tobias. He was separated from the others because he kept fighting the other rooster. (over the ladies to no surprise). The breeder felt bad for him and gave him to me for free just so he wasn't so lonely anymore. When I got home, I let the new members into the run. Tobias, strutted out into the open like he owned the place. He looked around, stood straight up as he could, flapped his wings and gave the BIGGEST littlest crow. Course my 3 other rooster were not so happy about the new kid in the flock. Especially since he was 1/5 of their size. To prove himself, he commenced to have a fight with the head rooster. Luckily only lasting a few seconds.. Tobias pinned down Trixster, current King of the Coop! Since then he has been making sure he stays the new King of the Coop. How he does this is by chasing Trixster around the yard. The sight reminds me of the old cartoons of the elephant afraid of a mouse. He will not let him near himself or the ladies. Didn't really think Trixster would be suck a pansy. To top it off, Tobias certainly enjoys shoulder rides to have a nice view of his new acquired kingdom.

My hens did not take a liking to him first. Even though he did his best romancing them by doing his dances moves. Which was a funny sight to see him side step a hen twice his size! Eventually they came around forsaking poor Trixster. (By this time the other 2 younger rooster are gone). Tobias took over his spot on the roost nestled between the two top hens. Though come hatching season.. it will be interesting how many chicks he has fathered. 20210930_090225.jpg

Long live King Tobias! He's a beauty.

I know what you mean about your little man liking big girls. Billy Boy, a young Blue Bantam Cochin rooster, spends a lot of time romancing full-sized girls. It's like watching a clumsy mountain climber.

Initially, Billy Boy tried to court Sally, a mature Barred Cochin Bantam -- until she started chasing his fluffy butt underneath his coop when everyone was out in the yard. He now gives her wide berth and doesn't bother her Bantam roommate, Gabby, either. A Red Frizzle Cochin, Gabby is really the only chicken that fierce Sally seems to actually like.

Hope Trixster isn't taking his dethroning too badly. I'm sure it's hard to be deposed as ruler, no matter the size of the new king.

Long live King Tobias! He's a beauty.

I know what you mean about your little man liking big girls. Billy Boy, a young Blue Bantam Cochin rooster, spends a lot of time romancing full-sized girls. It's like watching a clumsy mountain climber.

Initially, Billy Boy tried to court Sally, a mature Barred Cochin Bantam -- until she started chasing his fluffy butt underneath his coop when everyone was out in the yard. He now gives her wide berth and doesn't bother her Bantam roommate, Gabby, either. A Red Frizzle Cochin, Gabby is really the only chicken that fierce Sally seems to actually like.

Hope Trixster isn't taking his dethroning too badly. I'm sure it's hard to be deposed as ruler, no matter the size of the new king.
Trixster is fine.. least he's not exiled. One of Tobias' ladies is a blue cochin bantam/english orpington. Small roosters have big attitudes! Tobias is super chatty and has enough sass for everyone!

There is a little quirk that Tobias does that I am unsure to be concerned about. Though he likes being held and petted, afterwards he does his little dance to me like I am one of his hens. No pecking or crouching.. just the sideways dance steps. My guess is little man syndrome. Though I have been fortunate none of my roosters have been aggressive towards me. Though my previous, previous rooster did not like anyone but me. He had it in for my husband. Barney would go out of his way to go after him! If I was around he was on his best behavior.

I would like to share a story and give updates about my new rooster Tobias and his ladies. But before I start talking about him I have to give a backstory. When my husband found out about the Serama breed he couldn't stop watching YouTube videos. More specifically Serama roosters crowing. When the County Fair came to town there was a small handful of Seramas featured in the poultry section. Once he heard a Serama Rooster crow in real life.. he was hooked.

Fast forward a month later I devised a plan to get him Serama hens for his birthday. For at the time we had 3 roosters. Found a local breeder but the breeder really needed to get rid of this particular rooster named Tobias. He was separated from the others because he kept fighting the other rooster. (over the ladies to no surprise). The breeder felt bad for him and gave him to me for free just so he wasn't so lonely anymore. When I got home, I let the new members into the run. Tobias, strutted out into the open like he owned the place. He looked around, stood straight up as he could, flapped his wings and gave the BIGGEST littlest crow. Course my 3 other rooster were not so happy about the new kid in the flock. Especially since he was 1/5 of their size. To prove himself, he commenced to have a fight with the head rooster. Luckily only lasting a few seconds.. Tobias pinned down Trixster, current King of the Coop! Since then he has been making sure he stays the new King of the Coop. How he does this is by chasing Trixster around the yard. The sight reminds me of the old cartoons of the elephant afraid of a mouse. He will not let him near himself or the ladies. Didn't really think Trixster would be suck a pansy. To top it off, Tobias certainly enjoys shoulder rides to have a nice view of his new acquired kingdom.

My hens did not take a liking to him first. Even though he did his best romancing them by doing his dances moves. Which was a funny sight to see him side step a hen twice his size! Eventually they came around forsaking poor Trixster. (By this time the other 2 younger rooster are gone). Tobias took over his spot on the roost nestled between the two top hens. Though come hatching season.. it will be interesting how many chicks he has fathered. View attachment 2948158
Hes SO handsome! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom