Today I learned: toes will come off baby sultans very easily

rosegal

Songster
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Tustin, CA
While cleaning the toes on my feather footed sultan I noticed a toe bleeding and missing. The only thing I can think is that happened because yuk was stuck on her toes. Now I will be washing their feet constantly until they get bigger....I feel like a terrible mom for not thinking about this. There was also another one that had a toe nail missing when I was washing her feet. Just fyi.

I have baby bantam sultans, 3 weeks old. Their toes are not having any issues. Is someone in the brooder pecking off the toes possibly?

I agree with Frannabelle- sounds like someone in the brooder is pecking toes. I've never heard of any chick's toes coming off because they were dirty.

My experience has always been pecking at the toes. Usually a larger breed does that to them. I always put my bantams in different brooders now, which has stopped that from happening. (Of course, this was about 10 years ago when all of this happened).

I have been thinking about this all day. And, yes I think another must have pecked at the food stuck to the feathers and took the toe with it. She appears to be doing fine and I had held her until the bleeding stopped. But, now I am worried about feathered feet babies. I haven't ever had this problem before with my other feathered footed babies.

Back
Top Bottom