Toe Amputation on Dog, advise please

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
So my Giant Schnauzer is notorious for messing with his feet and other parts of his body. When we had him neutered, he managed to lick the stitches out while wearing a "Cone of Shame" and we ended up going back to the vet for antibiotics .
th.gif

About a month ago he chewed his two inside toenails off on both front feet. I wrapped, cleaned did everything I could to help them heal, the right side is healing and looks good, left side..... not so much. I took him to the vet and he has messed with it so much, it is infected and has to be amputated.

I trust my vet and know this is the best thing for my dog, his surgery is this coming Thursday, at the moment he is on Antibiotics and pain medicine.

I am trying to come up with ideas for after surgery to keep him from taking the stitches out. I can wrap it, and use something nasty tasty on it, but he is also very good at using his other foot to manipulate things.

Ideas would be appreciated as to how to keep the stitches in the required length of time. Vet will not do a temporary cast (I already asked) Since the cost of this surgery is almost $500 . I really need to come up with something to avoid any additional vet costs. As mentioned above, the "cone of shame" we paid money for will not work
roll.png

GEEEEEZ is it possible that after being on the antibiotic the toe well not have to go? I'll I do know if you do use the bitter spray, make sure you squirt in in his mouth the day before you use it and again when apply it. Sorry.

Quote:
He has infection in the bone, antibiotics are only for helping prepare him for surgery, pain meds are for pain and inflammation . It will definitely have to come off. I consider it a blessing it is only the one toe and not both.

Wondering if the Bitter Apple will burn if sprayed directly on his foot?

Quote:
He has infection in the bone, antibiotics are only for helping prepare him for surgery, pain meds are for pain and inflammation . It will definitely have to come off. I consider it a blessing it is only the one toe and not both.

Wondering if the Bitter Apple will burn if sprayed directly on his foot?

I knew a dog that had 3 toes taken and he did fine the bitter apple will most likely sting, if you can just miss the stitched spot. I'm hoping someone will come along with an idea for you.

I would usually never suggest this but in this case he might actually chew himself to death if allowed. Would it be terribly bad to give him something to sedate him a little and make him sleepy for a while? A day or two of drowsy and sleepy might be enough to get it healing before he really starts messing with it. Then it also may be more healed that you could use something really nasty on it to dissuade him from licking.

Karen, When my dog had surgery we went to petco and bought this inflatable tube thingie that goes around the dogs neck. It worked for my big Saint Bernard. So it may work for your guy.
Its kinda like a cone of shame, only different. It seemed to work better for us than the cone.

Its like this pro-collar on this page.

http://dogkneeinjury.com/alternatives-to-an-e-collar/

Last edited:
I work at a vet clinic and while a lampshade will stop most dogs, some of the really persistent ones do manage to chew themselves with it on. Desperate times call for desperate measures - get yourself a basket muzzle and make sure he wears it every second you're not staring at him. Think Lady and the Tramp - either plastic or metal framework and nylon or leather webbing. NOT the ones that hold the dogs' mouth shut, this is so he can pant and drink while its on. I have a fancy stainless/leather one so my blanket chewer can have bedding in his crate, it set me back a whopping $40 (cheaper than a re-suture!) and I've seen very inexpensive plastic ones.
Good luck!

Quote:
I like this idea, unless my 4 Jack Russells decided this was some weird squeaky toy and I find them all hanging from it
gig.gif

I am going to check our local pet supply and see if they carry something like this.

Quote:
I like this idea, unless my 4 Jack Russells decided this was some weird squeaky toy and I find them all hanging from it
gig.gif

I am going to check our local pet supply and see if they carry something like this.

LOL! The one we had was a pretty tough fabric...it "may" survive your Jack Russells...
lol.png

*speaking of that, i need to see if i can find ours, time to get my pup spayed. sigh. *

Back
Top Bottom