Tolbunt Polish

Pics
Quote:
Seems like it makes sense to me.

Are there any major differences between the breeds that would make this cross a bad idea?

extra toe on houdans for one

Well I guess you have to weigh what's more important at this time, color, mottling, and healthier chicks (better survival and robustness) or a 5th toe?
I would do it. You're also getting the size back up.
How bout a solid red Polish to keep the mohagany color good?

Yes, I know I'm clueness, LOL

Quote:
Maybe a Gold Laced and White Crested Black mix?

Could be. He has calico colors.... lol. That's what I thought when I saw him.

Quote:
Actually, A. I think he's beautiful and I wouldn't care what he is.
B. He looks like more of a Crele project roo, and I hope my little roo ends up looking like him!!!!
c. I would be wondering how to reproduce that color. Any ideas? Bob? Sportster?

I did not ask for a refund, they were day olds, so quite a bit of time passed before I figured out what I had.
They were very generous with extras, but died in transit...postoffice was a day late in delivery.
Quote:
I purchased several chicks from Greenfire. I was somewhat disappointed. I recieved 3 GL chicks, one Orloff and 2 chicks that are what I would expect a Tolbunt to look like. The roo that has the correct coloring is a fragile bird. That is just my experience.

Did you call them and ask for a refund? If you don't mind me asking when was this? This year?

Quote:
Where in Northern California?

I'm in Oakland.

How old is he?

Do you have pictures?

You can PM me.
smile.png

Quote:
your rooster is simply a poorly colored gold laced, nothing more. with gold lace a common problem can be too much white showing up in the crest and sometimes in the wings or tail. he also looks to have a crooked tail, unless that's just how he was posed. if his tail is crooked do not breed him.

Picture053.jpg

A similar rooster I had at one time.

Quote:
Really? Because previously in this thread itself, it was discussed for a good while with the vice President of the PBC that what said is the old standard, and in fact the proposal IS to be gold laced. I haven't seen ANY birds yet without lacing.

ETA - If it shouldn't be gold laced, then why are people using Gold Laced to cross out?
wink.png
If it shouldn't be, they should focus on solid colored birds or red crested reds to eliminate the pattern gene.

Correct, based on the information we now have coming out of Europe they are Gold laced mottleds. The standard listed is an old standard that was written with limited information at the time, we are reworking it. The birds that were first imported were not out of the best specimens and the information that we got at the time suggested we should outcross to Orloffs, however it was found to be the wrong direction to take. Further, the gold lace outcross will work better in the long run whenever a line needs to have new blood added. By the time we got the correct information about this color pattern there was some discussion about renaming the birds that Sportsterjeep is talking about; calling them Harlequins. That discussion had people pretty deeply entrenched on both sides and as far as I know nobody decided to start raising "Harlequins".

I personally wouldn't be against outcrossing to Houdans EXCEPT that finding a line that produces properly mottled birds consistently is going to be even harder than finding a good line of well marked gold laceds. Further you have to worry about the fifth toe. I know a guy who started to experiment with the cross but as far as I know he never saw the experiment through - can't recall if he lost his full blood Tollbunts or if he got rid of the projects to save on feed. First generation birds came out nearly solid black.

Finally, have a look at Tollbunt Wyandottes - another European creation. Although lacing on Wyandottes is different than on Polish you can clearly see (especially in the hens) that it is a mottled gold lace pattern.

Some birds from Europe:
diepenbroek_khaki_014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom