Tolerant Alpha Rooster

dogkahuna

Songster
Oct 11, 2015
Southworth, WA
We've got a flock of 16--one rooster and 9 hens in the original flock, and 4 roosters and 2 hens in last summer's addition. The original and secondary flocks each have their own coops with ample space and roosting branches. Their shared pen is 50' X 50' in varying configurations as I move the electronet around.

They are all still together because I'm not seeing unusual animosity in the dynamic. The mystifying thing at the moment is that one of the young roos is mounting older hens right in front of the established male, who does nothing.

Does anyone have experience with roosters living in harmony?

I

I would cherish that. Him letting the boy mate and not run over there risking him injuring the roo.

Yes it's very much so possible to keep 2 or more roosters together.

I always keep multiple roosters and never have trouble as long as I have enough hens for them all.

That actually is something you'll want to work on because it sounds like you don't. You have five roosters and 11 hens, which is almost one rooster to every two hens. The optimal ratio is 10 hens to each rooster, or at the very least five. If you don't remedy the situation by getting more hens or rehoming most of the roosters (I'd keep two at most) you are likely going to end up with hens that are overmated and stressed. They may even be injured by all the attention they are going to get.

I always keep multiple roosters and never have trouble as long as I have enough hens for them all.

That actually is something you'll want to work on because it sounds like you don't. You have five roosters and 11 hens, which is almost one rooster to every two hens. The optimal ratio is 10 hens to each rooster, or at the very least five. If you don't remedy the situation by getting more hens or rehoming most of the roosters (I'd keep two at most) you are likely going to end up with hens that are overmated and stressed. They may even be injured by all the attention they are going to get.

good idea

I got my numbers wrong--we've got 4 roos and 12 hens. Still, the ratio is off and we're going to re-home two of the younger roos so the hens don't have to suffer so much attention.

I guess giving them away on Craigslist might work, though respondents might be looking for a free meal. (We are vegetarians and I'm not the slaughtering type.) Any thoughts on re-homing?

I wouldn't do craigslist,soooo many bad things happen on that site. I'd use face book if you have one or even the re-homing pages on here.

I guess giving them away on Craigslist might work, though respondents might be looking for a free meal. (We are vegetarians and I'm not the slaughtering type.) Any thoughts on re-homing?
Are you against others eating meat?
That respondent might be hungry and in great need of a free meal, would be honorable to donate to that.
If you don't think anyone should eat meat, then you might shouldn't have chickens at all-because there will always be birds eaten in conjunction with chicken keeping.
Agrees with bobbi-j...advertise and don't ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom