Too full?

fl.gif
Here's hoping for recovery.

You are doing good.

So Fluffys crop is big again but she is not doing the gaping head bobbing she did before she is not laying the last 3 days but my girls are not steady layers I get 10-12 eggs a week from 4 hens normally so a vacation is not unusual some days I get zero eggs some one and some 4

No bad smell comes from crop when I massage it like there was and she acts totally healthy otherwise and totally ****** to not be allowed treats

Last edited:
so here we are 10/22 and Fluffy is still active and eating well but has stopped laying

Her crop got quite bit again and she did have one day where when I picked her up she spewed gross smelling fluid all over including my face--- ew

I fully expected her to get dumpy and sick acting after that but nope

She is thinner than before she got the big water balloon crop but VERY active, happy, silly and eats like a pig

I am still putting probiotics, oregano oil and grapefruit seed extract in the water and I just did 3 days of Big ole bird probiotics this week

All my chicken friends say she will die but for now she is acting just fine other than not laying

so here we are 10/22 and Fluffy is still active and eating well but has stopped laying

Her crop got quite bit again and she did have one day where when I picked her up she spewed gross smelling fluid all over including my face--- ew

I fully expected her to get dumpy and sick acting after that but nope

She is thinner than before she got the big water balloon crop but VERY active, happy, silly and eats like a pig

I am still putting probiotics, oregano oil and grapefruit seed extract in the water and I just did 3 days of Big ole bird probiotics this week

All my chicken friends say she will die but for now she is acting just fine other than not laying

Have you considered taking a fecal sample to your vet for a fecal float to rule out worms?
The losing weight is a bit concerning, since she is still eating like a pig
smile.png
she could possibly have some worms and she is not absorbing all the nutrients that she needs.
Sometimes an "underlying condition" like worms, cocci, etc., can produce crop issues (symptoms) as well - just a thought.

Glad to hear she is very active and is being a happy girl.

Days are getting shorter and some chickens are going into molt, so this could be a couple of reasons for not laying. If she is molting, then adding some extra protein to her diet may give her a boost (eggs, tuna, mackerel or meat).

I do appreciate your keeping the thread updated, this is always helpful. 3wks and she is still going, this says something about the care and attention that you have given her.

They eat an 18% protein diet Nutrena feather fixer mixed with either multi flock or hearty hen and omega egg maker and a handful of millet seed and fish based dog food once a day
They have never been exposed to ground other birds have been on but no I have not had her fecal tested everyone else is plump and she was until the crop issue

Back
Top Bottom