Too full?

No she is worse again about where we started except not laying and has periods of sitting around puffed up but still runs and forages
I think the end is coming
I had hoped I could fix her

I'm sorry to hear she is not doing well
hugs.gif

I know you are doing everything you can.

There are so many things that can cause symptoms like you describe along with the crop issues. Worms, Coccidiosis, internal laying/reproductive disorders, liver disease, etc. How does her abdomen feel - any swelling or bloating?

You are feeding her a good diet, but sometimes a chicken can develop problems absorbing the nutrients they need so this is a possibility is well.

we are now a month later. She had a couple bad days where she was puffy and seemed poor feeling but she is back to being first at the door of their cage for their daily exercise time in this large room. Runs about, flies a bit, chases other chickens, eats and drinks and seems well except for this crop

she was fluffed up grooming in this pic not sick acting puffy. Catching her grooming is the only way to get a pic of her still

Last edited:

we are now a month later. She had a couple bad days where she was puffy and seemed poor feeling but she is back to being first at the door of their cage for their daily exercise time in this large room. Runs about, flies a bit, chases other chickens, eats and drinks and seems well except for this crop

she was fluffed up grooming in this pic not sick acting puffy. Catching her grooming is the only way to get a pic of her still
She is fluffed isn't she
lol.png
I think she is so pretty. I would love to have one like her.

I'm leaning toward her have what is called a Pendulous Crop. Have you considered getting a Crop Bra for her to see if it helps?

Here's an article by Chicken Chick on Pendulous Crops, she also shows how to make a bra for them. I'm sure if you search around you may find a better to make or buy, but it may be worth investigating.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2016/02/pendulous-crop-in-backyard-chickens.html

Last edited:
Fluffys name is fluffy because she always has feathers on her body that look ungrounded (un barbed together)
In the photo is is puffed up because she was grooming herself in the window not sick puffy when done grooming she went back to her normal unkempt self lol

I thought about a crop bra but wondered if she'd get hung up on something it wear feathers off

Fluffys name is fluffy because she always has feathers on her body that look ungrounded (un barbed together)
In the photo is is puffed up because she was grooming herself in the window not sick puffy when done grooming she went back to her normal unkempt self lol

I thought about a crop bra but wondered if she'd get hung up on something it wear feathers off

I like her name!

You would have to monitor the wear on a crop bra for sure. Just like you would on hen saddles. It's possible she could get caught up in something especially if she free ranges.

I use saddles for my girls, but they are kept in a run. The elastic is loose enough they can get out of them if they really try or they hang up on something. I occasionally find a "naked" hen usually they have worked it off while dust bathing.

If you did use a crop bra, you may want to start off using it a night when she is roosting. This may help the crop empty overnight. Then if it is successful, you could try it during the day to see what happens.

Last edited:
I just ordered one for her they are not free range but Delawares are into everything lol nosiest chickens on earth
Her sister Peep undid a brand new bag of grain the other day unzipped the top

Back
Top Bottom