Too late in season to hatch with a broody in Vancouver, BC?

SJensen

Songster
14 Years
Jul 29, 2009
South Surrey
Hello, I have a hen that just went broody (Aug. 13). If we start eggs now, it will be getting cold before the chicks are fully feathered. I live near Vancouver, BC and my coop is unheated. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with hatching at this time of year? Thanks.

Quote:
I don't live near you, but it gets pretty cold here too - I think as long as it's not ridiculously cold that mama will be able to keep them warm. I had chicks last year in November and February and they did just fine in single positive digits with heat or a momma.

I live in the upper midwest and I had a tiny little Japanese bantam hen successfully hatch out and raise silkie eggs last October/November. My coop is unheated. It helped that she was a good mom and very attentive to her chicks.

I've had hens hatch in October and February and successfully raise chicks. It's frosty at night some of the times here in these months.
I would have thought you would be fine.

Thank you --- I do think she'd be a good mother. This chicken has gone broody several times in the past 2 years, but I've had to keep her off the nest since the timing was bad for me to start with new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom