Too many deformities?

Athiena14

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 23, 2018
St. Robert MO
When is it that you call something wrong with the flock? I get eggs weekly from a farmer to hatch ducklings and so far out of almost 100 I've gotten 2 deformities. One could be explained due to crested being in his flock, brain outside of skull with deformed beak. The other I just found today in an egg that died. 2 headed, 2 spined. When is it that you start to wonder about what could be happening genetically

Attachments

• 20240429_211223.jpg
    20240429_211223.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240429_211204.jpg
    20240429_211204.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 14
2% deformities isn't great but really isn't bad either, natural selection will weed out the weaker ones as you've seen. Sad but fascinating to see some of the more developed chicks like that as most would normally die well before they start looking like chicks. I hope you preserve it!

Sounds like the farmer could use some new blood in the flock though. Assuming all other ducklings hatch out normally and grow as they should I wouldn't worry too much.

2% deformities isn't great but really isn't bad either, natural selection will weed out the weaker ones as you've seen. Sad but fascinating to see some of the more developed chicks like that as most would normally die well before they start looking like chicks. I hope you preserve it!

Sounds like the farmer could use some new blood in the flock though. Assuming all other ducklings hatch out normally and grow as they should I wouldn't worry too much.
Thank you. I have it in alcohol right now. I rinsed it off and put it right into a jar. This is only my second 2 headed chick/duckling I've ever hatched. I wasn't expecting it when I opened the egg at all

A better Pic from the top
Siamese Twins. Rare, but often fatal in poultry. It's happened in chickens.

It happens when an embryo fails to separate into two, & remains fused to it's twin.

Successful separation would result in identical twins with one yolk.

This is much rarer then Double yolk twins.

Siamese Twins. Rare, but often fatal in poultry. It's happened in chickens.

It happens when an embryo fails to separate into two, & remains fused to it's twin.
This is much rarer then Double yolk twins.
I never try to incubate double yolks. They never last through incubation and always hear they don't hatch well too.

Thank you for the info, I wasn't sure if it was siamese or if the body just wanted to go crazy and have 2 heads.

Back
Top Bottom