Too many roos in iowa.

xSlingsho66

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
I have a few roos that need to go, too many, and one is very very mean, it literly ripped the skin off a hen down to her skull. Ive tried to get ready to process them but I cant seem to bring myself to do it, Ive killed ducks and phesants, but these seem so much like pets. How do you guys do it? I was gonna use a cleaver on there necks, is there a better way for the birds? Or anyone in iowa ankeny/des moines area that would like them?

I hung a five-gallon bucket at shoulder height. I cut a hole in the bottom, put the bird in upside down with head through the hole. Pull on the head enough to stretch it out, and make a quick slice across the throat. They are dead within seconds, and they bleed out and stay in the bucket. No flopping all over the yard!
smile.png
Good luck-you CAN do it!
smile.png

I know I can do it, as ive killed wild birds, I just dont really want too lol it just seems different when there "pets"

I just processed my first bird the other day. I felt like you do but once I saw the roo was hurting the hens I knew I had to take responsibility and deal with him. I have another 15 or so to do this week too. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be either. I just keep telling myself it's for the good of the flock that some have to go.

Quote:
I'm not speaking from experience here, but I've heard that if you plan to do the deed either before dawn or after dusk when the bird is settled on the roost there is very little fluttering/squawking/drama.

How old are they & what breeds? I've been wanting to compare the taste of DP birds with our Cornish X.

How we did those was to make a cone out of an upside down 2 gal. bleach container, put bird in and slit the throat or just lop the head off with a pair of sharp shears. That way you don't see to much gory stuff....except the pile of heads on the ground.
sickbyc.gif

We processed our first roo last weekend and a slip knot to tie him upside down worked very well. We watched a youtube video and the guy made it look so easy. The killing part was pretty quick and removed my fear that they would fight it a lot but once he was upside down he just hung there - the final fight they seem to try to fly and flap their wings and then it is over. You can do it - especially if he is hurting your hens! Good luck!

I can't bear to butcher ours either so I take them to a processor. If someone else butchers it, it's more like just trading your "pet" for some food. It doesn't even seem weird or gross.
The price is very reasonable, like $2-3 per chicken. I see you're in the Des Moines area. I'm sure there would be a place near there. We go to Martzahn's Poultry Processing in Greene, IA. They are fabulous!!
Found this chart. You could call and see if any of them take small quantities of birds.
http://idalsdata.org/IowaData/meatAndPoultry.cfm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom