Too many roosters? Need help!

Nov 18, 2023
The Sooner State
So, we have at least three roosters right now, a year old bantam, a few month old beilefelder, and a two month old frizzle bantam. We currently have around 25 hens, not all of which are laying age, though.
I have a question, though. Is it a hard rule that you need at least ten hens for one roo, or can it be lower for bantam roosters? Because now we have three roosters that are just so cute and kind(so far)but we might not have enough hens.
Can three roosters share 25 (give or take) hens?

Agree, it's very individual. See how things develop. and be ready to intervene as needed.
Also, think about your goals for this flock: I'd move that cute frizzle on rather than have him breed into your flock, because frizzle genetics are tricky. Do you want half bantam chicks, or do you have bantam pullets and hens to fit with your rooster? Is the Beilefelder a better fit with your flock genetically?
Too many males, never good. Males who won't fit with your breeding plans, also not good.
Mary

So, we have at least three roosters right now, a year old bantam, a few month old beilefelder, and a two month old frizzle bantam. We currently have around 25 hens, not all of which are laying age, though.
I have a question, though. Is it a hard rule that you need at least ten hens for one roo, or can it be lower for bantam roosters? Because now we have three roosters that are just so cute and kind(so far)but we might not have enough hens.
Can three roosters share 25 (give or take) hens?
I currently have 7 pullets and 2 cockerels, 9 month old bantams. They're all coexisting in a 16'x8' hoop coop. One cockerel is the alpha, the other is quiet, they get along.
IMG_20231103_163803234~2.jpg

Joel (Boss) and Samuel (Second Banana)

Back
Top Bottom