Too Many Roosters.

winterwolf4

Songster
Feb 17, 2023
Oregon
We had 28 adult chickens. We had 10 roosters. We ate 1, 5 got sold so we have 4 left.
Two of the roosters are older and we will definitely keep. 1 is the Jungle Fowl and the other one is the white Aracauna.

Now we have the two EE sons left. The one that we thought was really promising has turned into a jerk. We think he and his brother are beating up on our 4 to 6 year old Aracauna.
There are white feathers everywhere.
Do we get rid of the 2 younger ones?

My husband wanted to keep one of the young roosters as a replacement, but now the promising cockerel is beating up on our 7 wk old chicks.

Did we do something wrong by putting the 7 wk old chicks in with the rest of the flock?

Cockerel #1 which the one we wanted to keep also jumped on one of the 7wk old chicks. Is this pecking order that begins or is he trying to kill the pullet.

We have had chickens for about 2 years. The oldest cockerel is about 6 or 7 months old. The younger one is about 5 months old.

Do I get rid of these last two younger roosters? Or do I wait a few days?

The rooster in the back is Cockerel #1.

Attachments

• 20230209_141557.jpg
    20230209_141557.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 56
Nope. He's beating up on the chicks and that's not a good sign at all. Establishing his place in the pecking order with a few pecks and some brief foot races is fine and normal, but attacking and beating them up is a no-no. No good rooster hurts the kiddos; he's supposed to protect them.

Beating up on the old guy is, unfortunately, normal. They plan to usurp him.

I'd get rid of Cockerel #1 since he's the mean one and the instigator. Possibly Cockerel #2 will calm down without his brother egging him on to mischief.

Now I don't know if you "did something wrong" by putting the 7-week old chicks in with the flock. Did you do an integration period of a week or so, with them in a separate enclosure, where all the chicks and chickens could see and talk to each other, but not touch? If so, then you did it right. Seven weeks is the perfect age to do this.

If you just turned them loose with the big flock, it's going to be harder on them and there will be a fair amount of bullying from everyone. They'll get through it in a few days hopefully, with no injuries - and find their place as the big girls teach them manners. Fortunately, at 7 weeks, they're still small enough to run between the big birds' legs and fast enough to outrun them - but not old enough to challenge anyone to a fight. They should be fine.

Nope. He's beating up on the chicks and that's not a good sign at all. Establishing his place in the pecking order with a few pecks and some brief foot races is fine and normal, but attacking and beating them up is a no-no. No good rooster hurts the kiddos; he's supposed to protect them.

Beating up on the old guy is, unfortunately, normal. They plan to usurp him.

I'd get rid of Cockerel #1 since he's the mean one and the instigator. Possibly Cockerel #2 will calm down without his brother egging him on to mischief.

Now I don't know if you "did something wrong" by putting the 7-week old chicks in with the flock. Did you do an integration period of a week or so, with them in a separate enclosure, where all the chicks and chickens could see and talk to each other, but not touch? If so, then you did it right. Seven weeks is the perfect age to do this.

If you just turned them loose with the big flock, it's going to be harder on them and there will be a fair amount of bullying from everyone. They'll get through it in a few days hopefully, with no injuries - and find their place as the big girls teach them manners. Fortunately, at 7 weeks, they're still small enough to run between the big birds' legs and fast enough to outrun them - but not old enough to challenge anyone to a fight. They should be fine.
We have a grow out pen with a roof on it in the run/ free range area so they are able to see each other. But not get to each other. That is what we do, but they are not in the coop at night together.

Given the age of the older roosters, I can see why you'd want to keep a younger one as backup.

Do you know the genders of the 7-week chicks? Maybe you can pick a new male from them.

That's what I would do too: butcher or otherwise remove the one who is causing the most trouble, then watch the other one and think hard before making a final decision on him.

Thing is there are good roosters and rotten roosters. Really does not depend on how you raise them. In a flock that size - would expect the best outcome, so as you are not getting that, these are rotten roosters. So yes, you have two rotten roosters they should be culled. There really is no reason to keep them.

My advice - get rid the EE - they are not good. Look to see what comes in the summer, either out of the 7 week olds or new chicks.... or look around, often other chicken people have very good extra roosters. Generally roosters are easy to get and cheap. But adding strange roosters do not always work.

I am a bit confused - did you have 28 hens + 10 roosters or do you now have 18 hens and 4 roosters? Not sure how the count is. Personally the more roosters you keep - the more chance of it not working, I would keep the two older roosters. IMO that is enough for 30 hens. 4 roosters (again IMO) is too many for 18 birds.

Mrs K

Thing is there are good roosters and rotten roosters. Really does not depend on how you raise them. In a flock that size - would expect the best outcome, so as you are not getting that, these are rotten roosters. So yes, you have two rotten roosters they should be culled. There really is no reason to keep them.

My advice - get rid the EE - they are not good. Look to see what comes in the summer, either out of the 7 week olds or new chicks.... or look around, often other chicken people have very good extra roosters. Generally roosters are easy to get and cheap. But adding strange roosters do not always work.

I am a bit confused - did you have 28 hens + 10 roosters or do you now have 18 hens and 4 roosters? Not sure how the count is. Personally the more roosters you keep - the more chance of it not working, I would keep the two older roosters. IMO that is enough for 30 hens. 4 roosters (again IMO) is too many for 18 birds.

Mrs K
We have 23 chickens total in the big run, now. 14 laying Hens and 5 younger ones. 4 roosters are left. left.

Now we had 28 chickens originally out in the big coop and we added 3 more.
I am sorry that the math is confusing. We have gotten rid of 8 adult chickens and added 3 seven week olds yesterday.

We have 33 total chickens but 10 are under 1 month. We will see how many hens we eventually have. We plan to keep the 2 older roosters.

Overall we have gotten rid of 8 chickens one way or another. Originally we had 41. Now we have 33.

I have ordered some day old cockerels to come in the mail. Hopefully 1 will turn out to be a good rooster.

Back
Top Bottom