Took in two chicks taken by local dog

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
My fil's dog has been going across the road and taking chicks about 4/5 weeks old I assume based on my 6 week old. He killed two of them and the last two he got he brought back and left. I cannot see any visiable injuries although they arrived after dark and I'm not a chicken indoors kinda gal.

Since I had just put my chicks in the coop from the brooder yesterday I figured I"d put the two new ones in the brooder that is now empty. They are in a huge space and there is only two of them. I don't have a lamp for them. Do they need one still at that age? Also do my 6 week old's still need one? It gets to about 8 degrees celcius at night here. My husband would love to not have it plugged in anymore.

Thanks all.

If they are fully feathered, they shouldn't NEED a heat lamp. However, I would TRY to provide one on one side of the area so they can lay under it if they want/need to.

Last edited:
My first reaction to this situation is.. are they your chickens to keep?? If the dog is "taking them from accross the street".. don't you think your neighbors will miss thier chickens and want them back??? I know if they were my chicks I would miss them greatly. And they should also be compensated for the "dead ones" as well. your FIL should keep his dog on his property.. as for me if I found a dog "taking my chicks " I would surely send if off to the dog pound.. and some people here would surley shoot it!!

If this is not the case then at 6 to 7 weeks they should be fully feathered and not need the lamp

I agree with Ladybug..

Your FIL's dog needs to be kept off the neighbors property for the safety of that persons chickens AND the dog.

It would probably be a good idea for you-- or your FIL -- to walk across the road and let that person know where their chicks are dissappearing to... just part of being a good neighbor. Let them know about the survivors and what you have done to keep them alive. But bottom line, control the dog - the neighbor will eventually find out what is happening to his chickens and might take action to protect his flock that will be upsetting. Just my two cents worth.

Shelly

I'm just as confused as to why you are keeping chickens that are not yours????
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom