top 5 breeds of dogs

littledel

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Russellville, Arkansas
I would like everyones opinion on the top five types of dogs to raise around chickens. I am thinking for temperment, non aggression toward the chickens and for protectiveness of the chickens. Thanksl

australian cattle dog

they are very smart and bred to protect and manage livestock. Will also protect your family and your house. Very loyal.

only problem, have to start training young and have to socialize them otherwise they become intolerant of strangers.
they also are very healthy and long-lived breed.

I got my cattle dog as an 8-year-old and he has some issues from lack of socialization as a pup. I only had to reprimand him once for chasing chickens and hasnt re-offended. He takes his job as protector very seriously, and we have no problems with predators. Despite being a cranky old guy, he tolerates my 6 year old son torturing and climbing all over him. When he is gone, I will definently get another cattle dog and train it to herd the chickens.

Last edited:
belgian malinois...smartest dog i know of...great temperament and easy to train...and easy going with any animal they are raised around including chickens

I just came back from the animal shelter having adopted a 7 mo golden retriever/great Pyrenees cross. She is really for Granny D. who lives with my daughter and helps take care of the chickens. Don't know how it will ultimately work out with the chicken, but I did a LOT of research before I decided on her. She recently lost her bordie collie cross to IMHA and he NEVER bothered the birds. She told him "NO" several times when he wanted to chase them and he never did it again. He was totally trustworthy out by himself with them.

We're hoping the same will be true for this girl eventually. Sorry the pics aren't the greatest...using my cell phone.

9079_photo_5.jpg

9079_photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
glad you are having good results, but the two aussies that I had were absolutely terrible with chickens. These were young dogs 6-7 months old, but they wrecked havoc on my birds. In all they killed one turkey, one guinea, and three chickens. I even tried the dredded shock colar and they would just shake their head and continue on. I rehomed them when they began leaping against my chicken pens trying to get more of my chickens. Other than this really bad behavior they were nice dogs toward myself and my family.

Oldtimegator, that dog is beautiful! I have been wanting to adopt an older shelter dog for a long time, but my parents say 3 dogs are to many.
roll.png
I have a 10 year lab cross who never messes with the chickens. She also chases off any animal- intruders.
big_smile.png

Border Collies! If our BC is missing a chicken she knows it and will find it and herd it back to its friends
smile.png
They also chase away Deer from the garden and Fox and Raccoon from the coop. Since we got ours we haven't lost ONE!! Plus they are a family dog
smile.png
They can also be trained to herd the chickens in at night!! They are also the smartest dog in the world!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom