top 5 breeds of dogs

Quote:
I love my two Aussies. Both of them were raised in a home with out chickens.They are now 5 and 6 years old and still very active. Four months ago we got our first chicks. Both dogs (the Female more than the male) wanted to chase them. My female Aussie has a very high prey drive. I told them "No Chicken" anytime they showed any intrest in the birds. My chicks are now 14 weeks old a free range in the yard with the dogs while Im home. I have had no problems BUT my dogs are both pretty well trained and listen to me when I tell them "No" , "Leave it", or "out".

Quote:
I have had 3 different labs attack and kill chickens in my flock they weren't my dogs but they were my neighbors the neighbor tried to stop them but couldn't and these were dogs that were very well trained.

Henry

Quote:
Have to agree; I've had Tervuren that also were very prey motivated, and killed their fair share of chickens. Mal's are even more 'driven' so, I'd say not a good choice
hmm.png

I love pit bulls and the ones I have owned have never killed a chicken but my current pitty keeps the cat at bay around my girls, and protects them from any threatening sparrows lol. But pits have VERY high prey drives, and are very strong willed.

I would suggest some sort of collie. Rough Coated probably. Maybe a Rottie? They are great with kids and are livestock gaurdian dogs, or were.. Not sure how they are used now.

My Australian Shepherd (different than the Australian cattle dog) does great. The worst thing that happens is she eats their poop when she is in their part of the yard. My BSL's actually chase her around! Avoid Schnauzers, my neighbors dog wants to get my birds every chance he gets. Needless to say, they have lost a lot of feathers because of him!

Back
Top Bottom