top 5 breeds of dogs

i understand why people always start these polls, and the breed of the dog is important, but the training the dog recieves is far far more dictating on how they will behave around chickens. We had a golden retriever that i could stick a live chicken in his mouth and he'd walk around with it for a few minutes then put it down unharmed, parakeets could land on top of him and he wouldn't wake up, we also have a field spaniel who i do not trust even remotely around the birds. It all depends on the specific dog, and the training.

I agree with 95yj about the training is what matters, not the breed. I have a white boxer (Mogal) that is wonderful with my chickens but as soon as we brought our babies home, I made sure she was always round them to socialize. I told her to "leave it" and she will not ever harm them. She will go outside and hang with the girls and eat with them. She will chase the squirrels out of our yard as well as any other birds that land in our yard, but she will not chase our chickens. We don't have a rooster so Mogul does the protecting! It really is the training.

I'm glad to hear folks say that the training is the important part. I suspected so, but since we only have a couple of dogs and they tend to live a long time, we don't have that much experience with breeds around chickens. I'm glad about that too!

Bailey will begin her obedience class next week!!

+1 on the trianing not the breed. I have two cow dogs, one blue heeler and one Australian Kelpie. My Kelie pays my chicks no mind and my heeler badly wants to chase them. About twice a week I let them in the coop with me and the chicks. I make the kelpie go lay down in the corner and stay there while I hold my heelers collar and show him the birds any aggressive moves towards them he gets a little smack on the nose. In a couple weeks he will learn that the chickens are off limits.

In my experience nothing will beat a Great pyrenees for being easily trained, protective, and also very smart while also being a friendly family pet. Other dogs I've had have been trained to not mess with the birds, but I've never seen a dog quite like the pyrenees I had that actually protected the BIRDS and didn't mind being around them. Didn't matter what it was either, coons, possoms, dogs, cats, people. She never did bite anyone, she was actually quite friendly towards everyone. But if a stranger not of the family caused a bird to act up, she was standing up looking them in the eyes literally.

-Daniel

I agree that you will need to work w/ your dog no matter the breed. We had a English Setter (gun dog) who was a wonderful 'setter' and a wonderful chicken dog. NEVER bothered to harm any thing that belonged in the yard. We have 4 Doixes who can NOT be trusted w/ any of the birds, squirrels, rabbits, cats, coons, snakes, mice, rats, toads or lizards ..... Just too high of prey drive!

I have rescued Anatolian Shepherds. Anatolians are a livestock guardian breed. While I don't trust my dogs with my chickens, they were not raised with chickens. The National Anatolian Shepherd Rescue org has 3, less than one year old Anatolians needing new homes. THESE DOGS HAVE BEEN RAISED WITH CHICKENS AND GOATS. Obviously I cannot vouch for these specific animals, but it may be worth it to someone. Here is the link to the rescue site:

Iowa: Three 9 mo female Anatolians need fosters or adoptions. Have been raised with goats and chickens. We will help with transport within appx 1,000 miles.
Can anyone help? They do not need to stay together.

http://anatolianshepherdrescue.blogspot.com

Edited to correct link

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats Patsy. I want to get some pics of them now that they're bigger but I need to do it from inside the house. If I go outside while they are on and around her, she'll get up and if I sit down with the camera outside, they all get in my lap! I'll figure out something....

It could be with the malinois that there are 4 of them. The "pack" instinct is very strong in dogs and if there are several together they may act differently than they would by themselves, and be more agressive.

I think any dog who is raised with and around the chickens will regard them as its "pack" and protect them. Some breeds are better for herding and guarding than others.

Be careful when getting a purebred dog. Inbreeding can cause some unpleasant temperament quirks.

Border Collies are the best for herding or for many "jobs", of course, but they really need to have a "job" all the time or they are not happy. The same with other highly intelligent dogs bred to be working dogs. I personally would NOT get a Pit Bull for any reason! My German Shepherd Dog would probably have been good at protecting his "flock" from predators, as he does not like other dogs and any other infiltrators to the yard, except humans. He likes humans a lot.

The main key, I think, is to raise the dog with the chickens, and to not have a "pack" of dogs running loose around them.

Back
Top Bottom