Top 5 questions for local chick breeders

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
When buying new chicks from a farm somewhere you have never visited, with no website just Facebook messenger communication which many are, what are your top 5 questions for them?

Seems like so many are pretty quick to say how many do you want, ship or pickup then here pay me In advance.

I have asked 2 for photos of their hens and eggs Since one is blue.

Last spring we just bought from my local farm store not TSC they do a wonderful job.

What are your top 5 questions for local farms selling chicks?
These are 2 hours away . . .

When buying new chicks from a farm somewhere you have never visited, with no website just Facebook messenger communication which many are, what are your top 5 questions for them?

Seems like so many are pretty quick to say how many do you want, ship or pickup then here pay me In advance.

I have asked 2 for photos of their hens and eggs Since one is blue.

Last spring we just bought from my local farm store not TSC they do a wonderful job.

What are your top 5 questions for local farms selling chicks?
These are 2 hours away . . .
how many roosters are in with the hens

pictures of the flock

how old are the parents

how old are the eggs

i dont have a 5th sorry

1. Ask to see pictures of the parent stock. Make sure the adult birds look healthy and are the breeds/colors/quality the breeder claims them to be.
2. Any history with disease within the flock?
3. Do you vaccinate or sex your chicks?
4. Ask them about their return policy. Accepting returned birds is a red flag.
5. Ask them where they got their original flock, if the breeder is NPIP certified, and if they have any breeding goals.

1. Ask to see pictures of the parent stock. Make sure the adult birds look healthy and are the breeds/colors/quality the breeder claims them to be.
5. Ask them where they got their original flock, if the breeder is NPIP certified, and if they have any breeding goals.
Thank you!

1. Is your flock clean?
2. Any history of disease or illness?
3. Do you vaccinate?
4. What is your policy for returns? (If they accept returned chickens, RUN - don't walk away)
5. Where did you source your own birds?
Why is it bad to accept returned chickens? With dogs and cats it’s a good sign should the pet adoption not work out.

Why is it bad to accept returned chickens? With dogs and cats it’s a good sign should the pet adoption not work out.
Because it's an insanely high biosecurity risk. Chickens contract many highly contagious diseases. Dogs and cats don't. Once a chicken leaves my property, it doesn't come back. I don't want Marek's, MG, or AVL, etc.

Back
Top Bottom