Top 5 questions for local chick breeders

Also, maybe it’s a minority of chicken keepers to have quarantine areas set up, but for keepers running breeding & hatching operations I would expect they have that infrastructure. And for keepers adding to their existing flock they need that as well.

I’d say it’s totally the breeder’s prerogative. No-one can rightfully make risk-based assessments and decisions for others. But dogs and cats being free of communicable diseases is based on what???

https://www.ivis.org/library/concis...ic-diseases-of-dogs-and-cats/major-infectious
I'm not saying that they are free of them. I said they don't carry and pass around all the highly contagious diseases that poultry do.

You don't dip your feet before entering a dog shelter. You DO dip your feet before entering a turkey house. The reason is how many highly contagious diseases that poultry get, and how easily they get them.

Also, maybe it’s a minority of chicken keepers to have quarantine areas set up, but for keepers running breeding & hatching operations I would expect they have that infrastructure. And for keepers adding to their existing flock they need that as well.
Absolutely! I preach quarantine for buyers. I bought from a show breeder a few years ago. Paid a good price. He had an excellent return policy if accidental cockerels were sold. He was NPIP.

He gave me Marek's. I regret every second of buying those chickens. Now I **can't have any until my last one has passed. I could cull and treat - but she's a pet. I just won't have any more until she's gone. That really stinks. I guarantee taking those roosters back is what brought Mareks onto his property.

Last edited:
All good commercial breeding and hatching operations will not even let people on the property they use for such purposes for biosecurity reasons let alone take returns back. Not a good policy in poultry industry. If they do sell for pickup, it is usually not in close proximity to or even in same location as their breeding hatching operations. I would never do any business with those that don't take those precaution's it's not worth risking bringing anything into my birds of any variety not just chickens. Even if you work in those facilities like @Overo Mare stated they have dip pans to step in before entering areas to disinfect shoes even if it's from pen/coop to another in same facility. I breed and sell a lot of heritage turkeys and do use a lot of same precautions I don't have dip trays, but I don't let anyone in my breeding/hatching areas and sell my birds from different area on property and will never take returns. I do let people see my different varieties and birds from a far but don't let them in my pens.

Last edited:
I’d say it’s totally the breeder’s prerogative. No-one can rightfully make risk-based assessments and decisions for others.
You are right but I wouldn't do business with those who think its ok. And don't believe they would be selling to long once word gets out that they have sold infected birds even if they didn't know they were. And feel sorry for those that do get infected birds from those that have no experience or just don't care.

Great responses thanks!

I did think about this issue somewhat but not in depth TBH.

A greater risk than I was likely giving it credit for so thank you.

I have out out a list of your great questions to a few and will see what I hear back. One seems abit shocked I asked so many so that’s abit concerning. 🤔🤔🤔 she has 10+ breeds.

My new flock is very healthy so I will be keeping that forefront.

Chick prices are abit higher than I would have thought, with the BCM at $20 a piece, she has bred for deep deep egg color which maybe I can justify. It’s a few years of work let’s see what her practices are. She is NPIP.

WTB are better at $12 but that gal is not responding which gives me pause. Will see.

Thanks helping me wade thru these interesting waters!

I can tell you I took back a bird I sold to someone I knew! It was my own fault. I should have never sold the bird. The bird brought a gift back....wet pox which wiped me out. I was able to save some of the birds and I culled the rest. Now I don't even let people come into my yard and I don't buy adult birds from the community (less Muscovy). I've also had thefts of birds. No more. I advise anyone who buys from me to quarantine even knowing I'm selling healthy birds and once they leave I won't take the bird back. They look at me like I'm some sort of money hungry seller but I explain why and most, but not all understand.

Back
Top Bottom