Topic of the Week - Feeding Chickens - What to feed and when?

Yikes....I think I'd be a little more concerned about the ratio of roosters to hens. Too much competition and they can end up over-mating the hens, almost literally to death!

I don't see a huge problem with feeding them starter (although some may disagree with me) but since you have a mixed flock and they are at point-of-lay already I think I'd be switching to either all flock or grower, making sure there's oyster shell as a calcium supplement for the girls.

Hence the reason mine get the dirt clump early on, even if they are in the run on the litter. Got that little tidbit of useful info from you in the first place, didn't I LG?
wink.png

+1
+1
+1

After raising three different batches of chicks in as many years, I now give my chicks a dirt clump as soon as I get them home and in their new digs.

twice I've had instances of Pasty butt in my chicks, each time after cleaning up the affected chick(s) the flock then got a clump of dirt. After the dirt was added there was no more pasty butt.

Also after watching my broody having her chicks scratching in the dirt on day two and eating wireworms(looks like a meal worm) straight out of the garden by day 4, I'm convinced of the usefulness of dirt clumps for very young chicks. In a way it's so funny, after letting a broody raise chicks this spring, so many questions regarding raising chicks were answered just by watching the broody with her clutch. I found myself responding to many questions on the Raising Chicks forum section with answers that started with "well, by day X my broody was doing xyz with her chicks"

I've only seen a couple of responses here the mentioned Fodder. I've read that fodder doesn't increase the nutrient level and may actually reduce it slightly. But regardless of the nutrient level of fodder, I do it through the winter to provide some fresh greens for the girls. Mine dont' get out to freerange much in the warmer weather as they will destroy the yard/garden. But when they do get out they all stop right outside the run and tear into the grass that was just out of reach when locked in the pen. This is the reason I feed fodder in the winter.

- Medicated or non-medicated feed?

I think that's location dependent. I tend to feed medicated feed, because coccidiosis can be an issue in my area.

- When do you switch from chick crumbs to grower and layer feed?

I go from chick start to grower/raiser at about 8 weeks, and back when I still used layer I would switch at no younger than 18 weeks, but preferably a week or two prior to lay.

- Is it o.k. to feed older birds chick food, cockbirds layer feed, etc?

Yes, any bird of any species can eat a chick or grower ration (non-medicated, that is, as it's not necessary.) For several years I have kept my entire flock on a 20% flock ration, supplemented with oyster shell. I have had zero losses due to nutrition since then - in fact I saw more nutrtional issues and reproductive issues like egg binding, prolapses while feeding layer feed. Cocks, on the other hand, should never have laying feed. Nor should young birds, most other species, or even mature laying hens not currently laying. While mature non-laying birds may cope with the damage being caused to their kidneys by layer feed, it can severely hurt and even kill young chicks, and is a drag on the systems of adult birds. When in doubt, feed a grower/raiser ration. The only bird who should ever eat layer is a mature, egg-laying hen, who is currently in production.

- Thoughts on organic feed?

That's a personal preference. I haven't found any difference between organic, non-GMO, and conventional feeds. I feed either or both depending on what's cheap and available.

- When do you start feeding treats and how much and often do you give these?

I never feed treats to birds who are not yet mature. They need precise nutrition when they are at a young age. To my mature flock, I give 12% pigeon feed as scratch, usually about 3-5 pounds once a week to 150+ birds. The standard pen (never the bantams) get the leftover popcorn whenever I see a movie. Pulled up plants and bird-pecked fruits and veggies from the garden get thrown over the fence during the summer time.

- Do you make/mix your own home-made feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)?

I do not. I have found nutritionally adequate home mixes to be incredibly rare and generally not worth the extreme cost and time that must be put into them. Even nutritionally balanced home mixes are fallible - as the chickens can simply pick through them and pick out the tasty but not nutritionally adequate grains.

- Who uses fermented feed and what are your thoughts on that?

I used to, back when I had 80 or so birds. I found it useful. It reduced the amount of feed used and the birds enjoyed it. However, it was time intensive and as my flock increased in numbers I had to give it up.

Last edited:
This is a hot topic on our forums and questions like when to switch feed and what is the best feed comes up frequently. So, for our featured Topic of the Week this week I would like to ask you all's opinions and suggestions on feeding chickens. Specifically:

- Do you make/mix your own home-made feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)?

Okay so I know I'm new here and all but, you can't beat science. I'm going to feed my girls fodder that I grow in my greenhouse. That cuts down on the NON medicated feed cost by 75% and they absorb three times the amount of nutrients than they would from the regular scratch feed

I have never fed medicated feed. Most of my chicks are hatched out the old fashion way and are scratching in the dirt with their mothers from day one. I have never had a problem with cocci. I think if anything it reduces the chicks natural immunity.

I mix my own feed so things are a little different for me. When the chicks are young I grind the feed smaller for them, and increase the protein to around ~24%. I reduce the protein level by about 2 percent every four weeks, so by the time they are laying age they are getting about 16%

I have mixed age and gender in my flock so I feed an all flock feed. When they are molting I increase they protein.

I think there are benefits to organic feed, but unless you have a very small flock or a very large income it is not practical for most people do to the cost.

I give my chicks supplements more than treats per se. As soon as the chicks really start being interested in food (usually on day 2 or 3) I put out a small dish of yogurt, several grass clumps, and dandelion, chickweed, or other healthy greens for them to pick at. hard boiled eggs are also a great treat for chicks.Though it's not really a food item, putting out a bowl of dirt for the chicks to dust in is something they really enjoy.

I mix my own non GMO feed. I use a variety of grains (which I ferment) to which I add fish meal and premix. I also feed table scraps, veggie scraps, and clabbered milk (when we don't have pigs). I might try a non gmo chicken feed that my feed store is carrying at some point, but I am happy with the results I'm getting now, and I think the fermented pellets (which turn to mush) would be a lot less appealing to my flock.

I'm a big FF fan. A couple of times when my birds have been off FF their egg production has actually dropped. I feed less feed when it is fermented, and the chickens prefer it to dry feed. I have been fermenting feed now for a couple of years and I have yet to have a batch go bad. The general rule of thumb I follow is to only feed out as much feed as my flock can eat in a day. If the feed sits over into the next day the chance that it will mold goes up. Since I have a larger flock (100-150) I soak the feed in 5 gallon buckets outdoors in the barn. It has to be pretty cold to freeze (under 20F) so I just have to bring it in on the coldest nights.I have a hose going in to the barn so soaking it is a breeze. If you have the time and space, I would definitely recommend FF.

I have used both. Whatever is available at the store. I dont really care and never had a problem with coccodiosis. I do have CORID on hand if i need it.

I usually have my chicks off heat by 6 to 8 weeks. At which point they move out to my grower coop. They get fed grower fermented feed around 11am and then free range the rest of the day. I like to feed around 11 so they are hungry and spend the morning eatting bugs and grass. The pullets get moved to the layer coop around 16 weeks, while the boys are sent to freezer camp.

I think so. I have 3 resucued old ladies who i moved to my grower pen to retire. They get the grower feed with the rest. 2 still lay eggs hard as rocks almost evey day with no calcium supplements. The one that always laid messy shelless eggs while on layer feed/calcium supplements, no longer lays daily and when she does lay, her eggs have a thin shell and arent total messes.
I also keep my silkies in my brooder house to raise the chicks. They only get the chick food. They also lay almost everyday with no problems.

I dont think it matters. All mine get locally milled mash. Its not "organic" and it doesnt really matter to me.

the chicks have access to soil and grass from day 2. They are being raised with some silkies so i throw a handful of scratch to the silkies daily and the chicks can get to it if they want. I noticed they arent usually very interested until a few weeks old.

- Do you make/mix your own homemade feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)?
I dont make my own food. But sometimes i make them a special meal when i have a lot of extra eggs. I will do something like the following:

- 12ish eggs
- chopped carrotts
- garden greens
- a spoonful of crushed garlic
- a few dashes of turmeric
- a handful of wild raspberries (sometimes sub with raisens or craisens)

Cooked together in a pan till the eggs are scrambled.

They go nuts over it.

i use it everyday. Its a pain to mix, but since using it for about 4 months now, my food costs are way down and I havent had any chicken sneezing.

Specifically:

- Do you make/mix your own homemade feed? If so, what do you consider the best recipe(s)?
MEDICATED OR NOT:
I have my chicks vaccinated so I do nit use medicated feed as doing so would nullify the antibody response to the vaccine. When I am ready to hatch out my own chicks I plan to provide them with grass clumps to get the immune system started against cocci from local soil.
SWITCHING FEED from chick crums to layer:
I feed Purina All Flock 20% crumble until 8-10 weeks. Perhaps it is the batch I bought , but there is a lot of powder fine in Purina All Flock so I may go back to chick starter 20% just due to that issue.
I will give oyster shell in the side when its time.
ORGANIC OR NOT:
Not always available in my rural area; no feed mills I free range for 3-4 hrs a day then all day on weekends…that’s about as organic as I can offer them.
TREATS:
Older birds may get scratch grains 1-2 times a week when they are 4-5 weeks old. A handful for 11 juveniles tossed in the run or composed to turn it over (free labor). Fermented feed or a simple mash made from crumble and the powdery fines in the evening for chicks
HOMEMADE FEED:
No. I trust the commercial producers to know better than me what to feed.
FERMENTED FEED:
I do ferment feed for all and give a portioned amount to the flock every evening more as a treat but it’s a full portion. They have dry feed available as well. I ferment crumble or pellets.
IMO fermenting does not save time or money. I do it to improve digestion and nutrient bioavailability in my birds, plus they love it. I also have a bird with severe cross beak that can’t pick up dry feed (she gets a separate big serving AM/PM).

One quick add on: Importance of grit. IMO, grit should be offered soon after hatch. While "they say" grit is not necessary if birds are kept on processed feed and not offered "treats", I question this philosophy. Birds are designed to process their food with grit in a gizzard. Some studies say that providing grit of the right size at an early age fosters proper development of the gizzard. This in turn fosters the bird achieving optimal growth and development. Birds kept in a closed run may not have adequate grit source available, depending on the nature of the soil in the keeper's yard.
I remember digging sod for the girls and putting it into their brooder when they were a little over a week old. They found all sorts of goodies and it seems like the natural way.

Back
Top Bottom