Topic of the Week - Feeding Treats

Pics
Bread, pasta, and twinkies may not kill a chicken, but I wouldn't say it makes them thrive either. Those foods are probably more detrimental long term...just like they are with humans. Birds never naturally evolved to consume dairy so I find it unnecessary to feed it to them. With that said, my birds on occasion have gotten 100% grass fed plain yogurt before, but it's a once in a blue moon treat. Spinach is high in oxalates which can have an effect on calcium absorption. I really don't worry about it too much. If I have a few mixed in with my scrap salad greens the birds get them.

One thing I've done over the past few days is give them some raw coconut that I cracked open right out of the shell (I drank the coconut water ;) ). It's probably coincidence, but their laying really picked up over the past 5 days with it. Out of my 11 laying hens I saw a 5 day period of 9, 11, 11, 10, and 10 eggs and only 2 of them are leghorns. I was averaging about 7-8/day before that. Of course we're coming out of winter and gaining daylight rapidly, but the weather has been even more cold and gloomy than usual for New England standards.

Love this!
Hanging cabbage and .... Is that an apple?
Thanks
Henny Penny 1

Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego high desert

Bread, pasta, and twinkies may not kill a chicken, but I wouldn't say it makes them thrive either. Those foods are probably more detrimental long term...just like they are with humans. Birds never naturally evolved to consume dairy so I find it unnecessary to feed it to them. With that said, my birds on occasion have gotten 100% grass fed plain yogurt before, but it's a once in a blue moon treat. Spinach is high in oxalates which can have an effect on calcium absorption. I really don't worry about it too much. If I have a few mixed in with my scrap salad greens the birds get them.

One thing I've done over the past few days is give them some raw coconut that I cracked open right out of the shell (I drank the coconut water
wink.png
). It's probably coincidence, but their laying really picked up over the past 5 days with it. Out of my 11 laying hens I saw a 5 day period of 9, 11, 11, 10, and 10 eggs and only 2 of them are leghorns. I was averaging about 7-8/day before that. Of course we're coming out of winter and gaining daylight rapidly, but the weather has been even more cold and gloomy than usual for New England standards.
Coconuts are the BEST!! Thank you for the information! I have given mine some bread recently and they LOVED it, but it isn't a typically treat.

My chicks eat fermented feed regularly, so they get dry crumbles as their "treat" and "scratch". They go nuts for it and I feel safe just giving them what they need. I will start giving them more treats when they are about 3-6 weeks old and monitor their health as I do.

My chickens get scratch for treats. I am trying to back off of it as the weather warms up, but it keeps them busy after I bring them in at the end of the day. After some health issues I gave them some plain yogurt on top of fermented feed I gave the chicks and they acted like it was heaven! Now they eat their own crumble a lot better because it's in the same feeder. Haha tricked them! they also get scraps, but only just about once a week, usually vegetables.

I do not give my chickens potatoes, onions, avocados, sugar/sweets, junk food, beans, RAW EGGS, dry rice or citrus.

Their favorite treat right now is when I share the fermented chick feed with them. I leave oyster shell out to supplement the calcium.

Back
Top Bottom