Topic of the Week - Feeding Treats

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Topic of the Week (5).png
Many of us like to give our flocks a little treat now and then, besides their usual feed. So this week I would like to hear your thoughts on feeding treats. Specifically:

- At what age can you start offering your chicks treats and how do you go about it?
- What treats do you give your flock?
- How much, and how often do you feed treats?
- What treats should NOT be given to chickens, or given in moderation?
- What are your flock's favorite treats?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that Apple and tomato seeds are toxic to chickens... I don't give them tomatoes at all (because I'm not going to the trouble of seeding a tomato) but I'm sure they would love it if I did. Is this a real thing or am I being paranoid?
My chickens eat tomatoes all summer. They used to be free range and helped themselves to lots of cherry tomatoes. We had so many, we didn't mind sharing. They then inadvertently planted tomatoes in their run, and the next summer, one survived to become a large plant full of cherry tomatoes, which they were happy to harvest.

Last edited:
- At what age can you start offering chicks treats and how do you go about it?
I start at one week, and I offer them chia seeds. As chicks, all my chickens love those tiny seeds. I also use chia seeds as chick scratch. It keeps their interest in the brooder, and they seem to enjoy kicking through the pine shavings searching for the seeds.

My Orpingtons eat just about everything. They're not picky. Tomatoes, bananas, strawberries, spinach, unsalted air-popped popcorn, capsicum (bell) peppers, dried meal worms, live insects, the list goes on and on.

I spoil all my chickens. They're like my grandchildren. However, the Orpintons are bottomless pits, so I have to divvy out their treats, or they would all end up fat and happy. I just want them happy. The Marans (FBCM) are more selective treat eaters. For example, whereas the Orps love popcorn, the Marans can take it or leave it. The Silkies love chia seeds anytime.

I'm not one to really tell people what they should or should not feed their chickens. Personally, I don't feed mine Pop Rocks, Mountain Dew, Spaghetti Os, Sugar Frosted Flakes, or Pop Tarts. Then again, I don't eat those things either.

- What are your flock's favourite treats?
For the Orpingtons, it's a toss up between tomatoes and dried meal worms (aka, chicken crack). They scream, leap in the air, and compete to snatch tomatoes and meal worms from my hands. They also like to play the cluck-cluck chase game with popcorn. For the Marans, it's meal worms, and for the Silkies, its chia seeds. They never tire of them.

- At what age can you start offering chicks treats and how do you go about it?
Usually the first week - they get a clump of grass/dandelion/weeds to pick at. Subsequent weeks - I start introducing what I would normally give my adults (a piece of apple, cucumber, etc.) for them to "explore" . Yes, chick grit offered free choice in the brooder.

I give a bit of "scratch" - this can be mixed bird seed, corn, Sunflower seed, etc. Most days they get something to work at - hanging apple, cucumber, cabbage, kale, etc. I also make their "daily mash" a "treat" - it's their regular feed (Flock Raiser) mixed with water - then I finely chop some grapes, greens (whatever I have on hand) and add it to the bowl. They essential have feed with a few fruits/veggies mixed in - they love this treat.

For scratch - I try to be light handed with it - scattering broadly so they have to hunt for it. In winter - if days are really windy/cold I may give a little more if the flock seems to be staying in the coop - I toss some scratch into the bedding a couple of times a day- this keeps them occupied and they turn over the bedding in the coop for me too
smile.png

Find what your flock likes and try to stick with it. I rarely try "new" things to give to my flock. Give things like scratch, BOSS, mealworms, bread, etc., in moderation. We all do love to give treats, but if we aren't careful we can be heavy handed in doling them out. Everything in moderation.

- What are your flock's favourite treats?
I've found each bird has a favorite. Kale and grapes top the list for the whole flock. Cucumber and apple come in second. They have to flexible though - I only give grapes if they are on sale. In spring/summer/fall, they usually get what I have growing in the garden - so they may get a variety of squash, beans, tomatoes, fresh corn, Japanese Beetles that I flop in the bucket, berries, etc.

I'm probably in the minority, because I think many of the items people consider "treats" aren't really treats.

Vegetables and fruit are loaded with vitamins and minerals. They are low in calories, and low in fat.

Aside from a handful of scratch (mostly in winter, before they roost in the evening, or to gather them for some reason), or the occasional heel of bread, anytime I have food scraps or garden waste, the chickens get it. Sometimes it is cleaned up right away, sometimes it takes a few days.

They always have 18% all flock pellets available and they free range.

I still can't wrap my mind around the notion of anything that isn't a pellet or a crumble being a treat. Sure, scratch is chicken cookies or soda pop, but fruits and veg quality items that provide nutrients in the raw form.

I categorically refuse to call those "treats."

Mine get dried meal worm as babies.

Adult birds get calf manna and BOSS. Calf Manna more in the winter than the summer.

They love Bananas! Grapes! Strawberries..scrambled eggs. Chicken..ha ha..oh yes they do. Bread, so much more. I saw this today..going to try it when those hot days come around.

Just throw some corn into a muffin pan..of course, anything that is good for a chicken and can be frozen will work. In the muffin pan to the freezer for a nice cool something when it's hot out there. And we do get hot in the summer! Like I said, saw this today..corn may not be the ideal treat in the summer. I would probably put something like shredded carrot or even spinach/kale. Anything chicken yummy!

first and foremost before you feed your chicks treats they need to be on grit. A broody hen would offer up tidbits and they would be eating a bit of dirt from the get go. But if they are raised in a brooder....

Some people put in a clump of dirt with grass attached for them to explore and get flora and fauna. to help their gut...

Some parakeet grit would be useful to add to their enclosure as well.

Once they can "chew" their food then tid bits can be offered.

deb

I had bought the layer pellets instead of the layer crumbles not thinking , and my birds did not eat them good so I found a recipe for gut an crawl health, it was a healthy scoop of layer pellets
2 finely chopped apples
one cup of apple cider vinegar
half a cup of water
an two healthy dollops of plain yogurt.
they absolutely loved it ! I would sometimes put in a small scoop of scratch to make them happier!
also about two months before a show, I will feed my show birds cottage cheese. they love it ! and it makes them bulk up and makes there breast beautiful

At what age do you begin giving treats?-
Mine start getting treats later in their first week but only certain things like pieces of grass or very small pieces of grape and sometimes termites

What treats do you give your flock?
I give mine cooked chicken, pork chop, grass hoppers, crickets, apple, pears, grapes, meal worms (dried or alive), grub worms, fishing worms, sunflower seeds, tomato and probably more that I can't think of

How much and how often do you feed treats?
They get mealworms or bird seed about every other day if they come to the front door, and they get other types of treats whenever we have them

What treats should NOT be giving?
Everything needs to be given in moderation. With the birdseed/mealworm deal they mostly get birdseed

What are your flocks favorite treats?
My chickens love chicken, eggs (both cooked/boiled), mealworms, crickets... mostly living things. To them, movement usually equals food

Back
Top Bottom