Topic of the Week - Feeding Treats

I must have missed the memo: can someone tell me what's wrong with Chinese mealworms?

The unknown about what they were fed. "You are what you eat". While the same concerns could be said about mealworms from the good old USA (or Wales, or somewhere in the EU), China has a track record of cutting corners. Even with human food.

There is a reason mealworms from the US (or pretty much anywhere else) are hard to find. The Chinese ones are just so much cheaper. You have to wonder why that is.....

Thanks @paneubert . How much of this is perception I wonder. Even human food has been adulterated in unexpected places at some time or another, paperwork, regulations and inspections notwithstanding, e.g. the horse meat scandal in the EU some years back. And in that case it wasn't cheaper, it just delivered the fraudsters / entrepreneurs more profit than honest meat did. I read a study a couple of years back that analysed dried mealworms and found no significant traces of e.g. heavy metals or indeed anything to justify the EU's (unintentional) ban on feeding them to poultry.

Thanks @paneubert . How much of this is perception I wonder. Even human food has been adulterated in unexpected places at some time or another, paperwork, regulations and inspections notwithstanding, e.g. the horse meat scandal in the EU some years back. And in that case it wasn't cheaper, it just delivered the fraudsters / entrepreneurs more profit than honest meat did. I read a study a couple of years back that analysed dried mealworms and found no significant traces of e.g. heavy metals or indeed anything to justify the EU's (unintentional) ban on feeding them to poultry.

I am sure a good percentage of people who fear Chinese mealworms do so just because of the Chinese connection. Not from a racist perspective, but more from a "they are becoming an evil superpower who wants to destroy us all" type of thing. I don't buy into that, but I know there are a lot of "patriotic" folks who avoid China at all costs. So there is that as well.

Slightly off topic but Netflix has a series called Rotten, about how some of the food we eat isn’t what we think it is. I saw an episode about honey, which should have 1 ingredient- HONEY- but some of the imported honey has other stuff in it to make it cheeper. US honey producers are having a hard time keeping pace with the cheeper imports. Perhaps it’s the same with mealworms. Makes you wonder...
PS- There’s an episode about chickens in the series but as a vegetarian and chicken lover I can’t bear to watch it!

Back
Top Bottom