Topic of the Week - Incubating eggs

Got the money? Go with a brinsea. They're super reliable, stable, and easy to use. Just make sure to calibrate them. Their only downside is the price, which is about $500. Second choice would likely be a Genesis Hovabator. They're styros, but many people swear by them. I don't recommend the LG models - people swear at them instead of by them.
wink.png

If you have lots of time to babysit them, you can get decent hatches, they're just a ton more work. Definitely not set-and-forget.
Love my Brinsea. It's like "Hatching for Dummies." Even from the first hatch I've had close to 100% hatch rate with my own eggs. You should be able to do better than $500.00. My Brinsea Octogan 20 with lots of extras (It was a gift.) was just over $300.00 and you may be able to get a gently used one.

Love my Brinsea. It's like "Hatching for Dummies." Even from the first hatch I've had close to 100% hatch rate with my own eggs. You should be able to do better than $500.00. My Brinsea Octogan 20 with lots of extras (It was a gift.) was just over $300.00 and you may be able to get a gently used one.

Couldn't agree more about "Hatching for Dummies!"

I definitely meant to directly address cost: my Brinsea Ovation 56EX (true to the "56" for chicken eggs; 48 for duck eggs) was just under $500 after a coupon (bought it in November).

Last edited:
I had a similar experience but found the post office must have x-rayed one box. All losses were one box and the other I lost maybe 2. In addition. I have a brand new Brinsea Eco 20 which lost it's fan the day before hatch. And I lost many eggs that were on lock down. They did replace it but not in time. I had to buy an emergency back up at TSC in the morning and who can afford that?

[COLOR=333333]A picture is worth a thousand words:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
I agree a picture is worth a thousand words
All joking aside you clearly have some really nice equipment it makes me jealous. I was just trying to show people where they could find a piece of equipment that was super cheap and somewhat functional you know for the people out there trying to incubate with a lamp and a shoebox

Last edited:
Hi! I am getting an incubator! I plan on hatching some leghorn eggs. This might be a stupid question, but if the eggs have 2 yolks, will there be two embryos in it? I get double yolkers all the time.
Yes. BUT.... the chances of both embryos surviving to hatch is very very low and in the few cases it has happened assisting has been necessary. Unlike mammals, an egg is limited by it's nutrients and space making it unlikely to provide for 2 embryos. Many find it unethical to knowingly incubate double yolkers because it's starting a life that has little chance to thrive. Like setting them up for failure. It comes down to personal convictions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom