Topic of the Week - Incubating eggs

Yeah, the heater and fan died. It was a very cheap bator, but my first one. I hope to get a brinsea this winter.

I had that happen to me on day 16 with my very first batch happened years ago but i think I’m damaged for life from it! I then bought a second hand ( good) one..don’t dismiss buying used..many people upgrade to a bigger model when they get addicted to hatching...it’s a great way to buy a better model when funds are tight ..I always sell my old incubators on in good working order perhaps consider this option until you can get the dream brinsea! happy hatching!

Got spoiled on my birthday, got a Brinsea Maxi II EX. On second hatch now, first was 9 for 9. Excellent incubator once you figure out the humidity pump, the instructions that came with it were really vague. Said nothing about wrapping the tubing around the pump so the water wasn't hitting the evaporation card. Ended up figuring it out ourselves. Other than that it is an excellent product.

Got the money? Go with a brinsea. They're super reliable, stable, and easy to use. Just make sure to calibrate them. Their only downside is the price, which is about $500. Second choice would likely be a Genesis Hovabator. They're styros, but many people swear by them. I don't recommend the LG models---people swear at them instead of by them. ;)
If you have lots of time to babysit them, you can get decent hatches, they're just a ton more work. Definitely not set-and-forget.

For homemade incubators, one of the best guides I've found yet is Sally Sunshine's cooler incubator. Link available upon request. It is a simple, easy-to-follow pattern that can easily be modified for different bodies or setups. I'm currently working on my 2nd one.

If you're selecting eggs for incubation, make sure they have strong shells, the birds producing them are well fed, and they aren't deformed or odd looking. Candling them beforehand to remove porous eggs is also recommended.

Humidity is a highly variable subject, with some people running as low as 25% and others as high as 50% to get good hatches. It all depends on area, and interestingly enough, incubator. Cabinet incubators seem to require higher humidity than tabletops. In general, 30-35% is a good place to start, and adjust from there by air cells.

A "dry hatch" does not mean run dry. It's just an unfortunately named idea of running humidity at 25-35% instead of 50%. This has increased hatch rates in styros especially. In some places you won't need to add any water, but for me at least, I need to add a little to keep it at about the 25% that gives me the best rate of weight loss. Humidity levels also depend on the egg colour.
At lockdown, increase humidity to at least 65%, closer to 70%, but not enough to get condensation on windows. Some people have luck with keeping humidity at 30% in lockdown and doing a low humidity hatch, but in general raising humidity on day 18 for chooks gives you the best hatch rates.

Always plan ahead for a power outage if you have eggs going. A generator is my preferred method of back up, but some use their car charger or other ways like water bottles heated on a BBQ.

If you find your eggs at a high temp, immediately remove the lid and let the eggs cool off. Watch temp for several hours later to ensure they return to a stable state.

I cover cracks on eggs in new-skin, let dry, and set like normal. I've had 1 out of 2 cracked chook eggs hatch this way. Other one had a rolling AC and didn't make it long.

Incubation temperatures are best set at 99.5-100.5 for forced air (100.5 is only if you have a reliable incubator that won't spike) and 101.5 for still air. In both of these, temperature should be measured at the TOP of the egg. The reason for this discrepancy is that the still air has "layers" of heat—remember, heat rises—so a higher top temp is needed to get on-time hatches.

If you wish to read more on incubation and delve a bit deeper into it, I recommend reading some of the info in the notes article listed below. Good read for a rainy day or seven.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links
Well. I am entering a sweepstake to win one. Definitely dont have the money. LOL

Subscribing!

The only incubators I know anything about are the noisy, feathered, sometimes dysfunctional variety so I am here to learn!
yuckyuck.gif

I have a a self turning digital temperature controlled one. no humidity control just a space for water underneath. have ran 24 eggs over 4 runs. had 2 hatch. 1 dead and 21 what I presumed where infertile as nothing changed inside no blood lines. they were bought over ebay. does that sound fesable or is it poor incubating. temp set 37.5. water never allowed to dry

I have an inexpensive Janoel 12 incubator that I got on Ebay. So far it's worked really well. I don't measure the humidity, but I am able to set the temp.

My first hatch was about a month ago and I had a lot working against me. My eggs were from Meyer and from what I've heard, shipped eggs have a lower hatch rate. On day 7, I had a power outage for about 9 hours. I wasn't home, so I couldn't rescue the eggs. They were stone cold, but I left them in the bator anyway and pressed on. On day 21, 7 out of my original 8 eggs hatched!

I'm currently on day 7 of my next hatch and I have a mixture of Copper Marans and Olive Egger. I went with local eggs this time. I wish I could candle these eggs, but I can't see anything. Finger's crossed that this hatch is as successful as the last one.

As far as incubators brinsea and 1588 genesis. I have a 20 adv. And 2 1588s on preset and one adjustable. These hold temp great and I get excellent hatch rates. These are pretty much set and forget bators. Once the are set right.

I don't recommend the new LG digitals I had a still air and forced air just didn't have the time to monitor them well enough.

Purchased a 1502 cabinet right after Christmas. Have hatched 1 batch in it and so far am very pleased.

But even on the more expensive incubators always double check the temp and humidity with known a to be accurate thermometer and hydrometer . I use a brinsea spot check for temp accurate to .1 degree f.

For egg selection clean uniform in shape and size.

For humidity I try to keep it at 20 to 35 percent during incubation. Then raise humidity to 75 plus for lockdown and hatch.

Power outages I have a generator. But my 1588s have a 12volt adapter that I can use a car battery if necessary.

Temp spikes I monitor but don't get too concerned on moving the controls unless it is sustained there for an extended period.

Cracked eggs get tossed.

Shipped eggs leave upright in an egg carton for at least 24 hours to settle and acclimate to room temp. Then when I place them in the incubator I don't turn them for 2 days to allow air cells to settle if they were shaken during shipping.

I have never incubated eggs before but will try this spring for the first time! After hours of reading on the forum and checking out different products, I just purchased a incuview incubator from incubatorwarehouse.com. It seems to be of good quality for the price and I can't wait for it to arrive. Unfortunately they are back ordered so I probably won't get it until late march, early april...

So, this should be fun! I haven't had chickens in almost a year now, because I moved to a new house. I am sooo ready now! Now time to shop for eggs for hatching...and read all about how to do it so they survive on my first attempt!!

Back
Top Bottom