Topic of the Week - Incubating eggs

Pics
Yes. Technically for lockdown not after...lol
1f609.png
just busting on you. Some people do hatch upright in cutdown cartons after taking out the turners, but I believe the majority still lay them down to hatch. I lay them down, but I hand turn so mine are already there.
1f642.png

Lol, thanks for the correction
tongue.png

Yes. Technically for lockdown not after...lol
1f609.png
just busting on you. Some people do hatch upright in cutdown cartons after taking out the turners, but I believe the majority still lay them down to hatch. I lay them down, but I hand turn so mine are already there.
1f642.png

I'm an avid candler and I practice hands on during incubation and after "lockdown" lol
big_smile.png
I take the turner out candle the eggs and lay the good ones on their side, this is the only time I handle the eggs up the humidity to 70% then. I do not bother until it is time to remove the chicks.

[COLOR=333333]A picture is worth a thousand words:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
I agree a picture is worth a thousand words
All joking aside you clearly have some really nice equipment it makes me jealous. I was just trying to show people where they could find a piece of equipment that was super cheap and somewhat functional you know for the people out there trying to incubate with a lamp and a shoebox
Don't be jealous, lol, my incutherms aren't all that accurate, and since that picture, one died, and the incubators, don't even get me started on how unhappy I am with them. Those inexpensive meters you postd about look like a very good option. I'm thinking that maybe I'll get a few and see how they do.

I buy eggs off of ebay quite a bit. I average a 70% hatch rate with mail order eggs. There are a lot of variables to consider. Make sure you are buying from a reputable seller. Check how far the eggs will travel, how long they will be in transit and what the temperatures are going to be during transit. I make sure eggs are in transit no longer than two days. Check the weather, make sure night time temps are going to be in the forties. Also make sure the seller wraps each individual egg and packs them so they can't rattle around in the shipping container. I hope this helps and your hatch rates improve.

Thanks! I did read that, which is where I learned that many folks prefer "dry" (lower humidity) incubation for geese. I'm going to candle the eggs on days 4 and 7 to measure air sacs. I'll be happy if the eggs are even fertile, as our gander is more of a fighter than a lover!
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom