Topic of the Week - Incubating eggs

Pics
one of the Rp toms

I have been incubating my first batch of eggs. I started out with twelve. Four weren't fertilized, one I cracked, and five have had blood rings. So I have two eggs left in the incubator going into lockdown Thursday. What did I do wrong that caused so many to die? I have three dozen more eggs to put in Saturday for the Easter hatch. I want to have a high hatch rate for this next hatch, any tips? Also, how do I make sure both eggs left in the incubator hatch this Sunday? I want both to hatch any tips help! Thanks!

I have been incubating my first batch of eggs. I started out with twelve. Four weren't fertilized, one I cracked, and five have had blood rings. So I have two eggs left in the incubator going into lockdown Thursday. What did I do wrong that caused so many to die? I have three dozen more eggs to put in Saturday for the Easter hatch. I want to have a high hatch rate for this next hatch, any tips? Also, how do I make sure both eggs left in the incubator hatch this Sunday? I want both to hatch any tips help! Thanks!

There is no way to guarantee the eggs will hatch. People will say do this or don't do that, but it comes down to whether the chicks are viable and strong enough. It depends on whether your temps were correct and if the average humidity during incubation allowed for proper moisture loss.

The early quitters doesn't mean you did anything wrong. I normally have excellent hatch rates, but I've just started incubating eggs from my silkies I hatched last spring. We are (hopefully) just coming out of winter and freezing temps. Fertility still is way under par. I set 21. Had 9 that started developing well. Four that quit almost as soon as they started. Literally only development was the first signs of veining. The rest were clears. I'm hoping that the cold is the major catalyst and with improved weather things will straighten back out.

What kind of incubator are you using? Is it forced air or still? What temps and humidity is the bator holding? Have you checked your thermometer/hygrometer for accuracy?

I'd like to know the pro's versus the Cons of using still air or forced air incubators. My only experience is hatching 13 out of 14 game chicken eggs as a science project in 4th grade. I'll most likely not be hatching this year since I have 8 3 week old EE's and just bought 6 pure blood Australorps. Not the Americauna's I wanted but I should have a rainbow of egg colors in a few months.

I'd like to know the pro's versus the Cons of using still air or forced air incubators. My only experience is hatching 13 out of 14 game chicken eggs as a science project in 4th grade. I'll most likely not be hatching this year since I have 8 3 week old EE's and just bought 6 pure blood Australorps. Not the Americauna's I wanted but I should have a rainbow of egg colors in a few months.

Still air- not always constant temps in every location in the incubator. Sometimes an 11 degree difference between each corner. Temp could fluctuate. It's cheaper though and you could always buy a cheap computer fan to help with some of this problems.

Forced air- comes with fan and most temperature differences aren't as big of a difference. They are more expensive, but not too much. The temp stays more constant.

If you are going to hatch often I would suggest a fully automatic incubator that controls heat, humidity, and turning. Brinseas are known to be very good, but can get pricy. I do suggest if you are getting a cheaper option do not get little giant. It fluctuates between 91-105 but some people can get good hatches out of it. I've used it for two hatches, one with zero hatching out of twelve and the second one two hatched out of twelve and that was keeping a hawks eye on it. I now use a forced air hovabator and the temp stays constant and I'm in the middle of a hatch.Well good luck incubating!

I generally don't expect to get eggs until 6 months

Back
Top Bottom