Topic of the Week - Incubating eggs

Pics
Hi All
I'm incubating my first time.  The eggs have been in the bator for a week.  When should i candle them?  Or does it really make much difference.  If they don't hatch by the 22 days I guess I should assume they weren't fertile or I goofed.  Any advice would be helpful
Peaky,  Central California

Candling is a personal preference. Days 7/14/18 is the norm and also the best to check air cell size especially for new hatchers who haven't figured out the humidity game yet. http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

thank s Amy for the info. I tried candling and couldn't see one bit of difference on the 8th day. I'll wait until the 14th day. If i can't see a change??? hmmmmm I probably won't have the heart to throw them away but rather hope that a miracle happens and they pip out at day 21....haa haha Whatever, I'll try again.

I can't believe how addicted and obsessed I have become with hatching eggs. I have 10 more days on Mt first attempt by mail order and today I found myself finding a a hatchery near by that sells fertile eggs so that I can pick them up. She will have 2 dozen for me the first week of may. My husband thinks I am out of control but then he gets excited about them also. This has been so much fun.

Question for everyone: What is the best inexpensive small batch incubator out there? I could build one however I'm going way too busy building a better coop along with gardening and other outdoor work. Please give me your opinions!!!!
Mark

Good Morning
I'm new to chickens so am not an expert by any means. I got the Brinsea Mini 2 but wasn't that inexpensive. Over 200.00. But I'm not home slit during day so needed it to turn eggs. I'm using it for the first time and it's done a perfect job. Just plugged it in, applied settings and all has been well. Have my first batch of eggs but unfortunately electricity failed and temp dropped to 77 degrees so I doubt chics will hatch. Tuesday's the 21 st day.

Good Morning
I'm new to chickens so am not an expert by any means. I got the Brinsea Mini 2 but wasn't that inexpensive. Over 200.00. But I'm not home slit during day so needed it to turn eggs. I'm using it for the first time and it's done a perfect job. Just plugged it in, applied settings and all has been well. Have my first batch of eggs but unfortunately electricity failed and temp dropped to 77 degrees so I doubt chics will hatch. Tuesday's the 21 st day.

Jusat an FYI. You only need to turn the eggs from my experience 2-3 times a day. I hatched a batch in a cardboard box and hatched 13 out of 14 when I was 12 years old.

Question for everyone: What is the best inexpensive small batch incubator out there? I could build one however I'm going way too busy building a better coop along with gardening and other outdoor work. Please give me your opinions!!!!
Mark

Well, define "inexpensive." I use a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with the IncuTurn egg turner (about $185 from incubatorwarehouse.com for the "Advanced" kit) and have had some very good hatch rates. The "best" is very subjective, no less so in this case. One person's perfect solution is another person's nightmare.

I like the IncuTurn because I don't have to unload the eggs on day 18 to remove it. I just unplug the turner and it becomes part of the floor of the incubator. The Genesis has circulated air; I prefer that over still-air incubators. I get good temperature and humidity control that stays stable even though other folks complain about styrofoam incubators. I wrap a few layers of knit jersey material around the outside of the styrofoam base because the temperatures in my house are not stable and where the incubator sits, it's right in line with the air-conditioner. (I currently live in the Deep South so, yes, the air-conditioner is running starting in March.) Even with these less-than-optimum environmental conditions, the temp and humidity inside the incubator stay stable.

Last edited:
Well, define "inexpensive." I use a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with the IncuTurn egg turner (about $185 from incubatorwarehouse.com for the "Advanced" kit) and have had some very good hatch rates. The "best" is very subjective, no less so in this case. One person's perfect solution is another person's nightmare.

I like the IncuTurn because I don't have to unload the eggs on day 18 to remove it. I just unplug the turner and it becomes part of the floor of the incubator. The Genesis has circulated air; I prefer that over still-air incubators. I get good temperature and humidity control that stays stable even though other folks complain about styrofoam incubators. I wrap a few layers of knit jersey material around the outside of the styrofoam base because the temperatures in my house are not stable and where the incubator sits, it's right in line with the air-conditioner. (I currently live in the Deep South so, yes, the air-conditioner is running starting in March.) Even with these less-than-optimum environmental conditions, the temp and humidity inside the incubator stay stable.
I was looking at Hovabator's but the 1602N which can have either a fan or no fan. It's around $50. I don't need or want to hatch more than a dozen or so at a time.

I was looking at Hovabator's but the 1602N which can have either a fan or no fan. It's around $50. I don't need or want to hatch more than a dozen or so at a time.

I can't speak to the 1602N, but I've seen folks here say good things about it. I like the extra room so the chicks can hatch and get away from the shell so they can move around the incubator while drying off without climbing over eggs, his fellow hatchmates and stumbling over pieces of shell. You can get the 1602N with the IncuTurn. I feel like that would be a good addition.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom