Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

Pics
I just received my pour on ivermectin order. I have read that this works well for most parasites inside and outside of the bird. Is there a wait time for eating the eggs? How much should I apply to the base of the neck?

I just received my pour on ivermectin order. I have read that this works well for most parasites inside and outside of the bird. Is there a wait time for eating the eggs? How much should I apply to the base of the neck?
It will treat lice and scaly leg mites, that I know for sure because i have tested it, but have not tried it for other mites.

Several studies show that it's not an effective wormer, and I know several people that lost birds to worm infestations even though they used ivermectin, so don't count on it treating worms.

Max dose of the pour on I would use is 0.1 ml per pound. Egg withdrawal is probably 14-28 days.

Edited to add:
@Ravynscroft pointed me to a post made by a vet that says ivermectin egg withdrawal is 8 weeks.

Last edited:
It will treat lice and scaly leg mites, that I know for sure because i have tested it, but have not tried it for other mites.

Several studies show that it's not an effective wormer, and I know several people that lost birds to worm infestations even though they used ivermectin, so don't count on it treating worms.

Max dose of the pour on I would use is 0.1 ml per pound. Egg withdrawal is probably 14-28 days.

Edited to add:
@Ravynscroft pointed me to a post made by a vet that says ivermectin egg withdrawal is 8 weeks.
I forgot to add that I just sprayed the coop 6 days ago with permethrin. I also sprayed all their butts that day and sprayed butts again night before last.

I noticed a few days ago that some have scaly leg mite. Is it too soon to use ivermectin? I don't want to kill them trying to cure them. Their is also a couple birds that have what appears to be small globs of blood in their poo and it's runny and a couple are very watery. And a few have respiratory issues. Can a worm infestation cause these other issues?
The ones having issues are mostly the 2 year olds.

I can't figure out how can they go from healthy to having so many issues.

You should have a fecal run to discover what parasites might be present first. Coccidia takes different medication, and there's no advantage in treating for the wrong thing! There's no approved egg withdrawal time for Ivermectin, because it's not an approved drug for chickens, and so if you use it, pick a time and go with it! There will be some Ivermectin in the egg yolks for a VERY LONG time, which is why it's not approved. On the other hand, it's an approved drug for humans, and very few individuals are hypersensitive. Mary

Tractor Supply carries Gordon's

Gordon's instructions for poultry = ~19 ml/gallon

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/002217-00853-20130129.pdf

And it can be found online sold as

And probably many more. 10% permethrin is what you're looking for.

-Kathy

Edited to add:

https://www.drugs.com/vet/permethrin-10.html

This says 1:99:

I bought the gordon's today and mixed it 19 ml's in 1 gallon water. Can you spray this directly on the chickens or only in the coop?

You should have a fecal run to discover what parasites might be present first. Coccidia takes different medication, and there's no advantage in treating for the wrong thing! There's no approved egg withdrawal time for Ivermectin, because it's not an approved drug for chickens, and so if you use it, pick a time and go with it! There will be some Ivermectin in the egg yolks for a VERY LONG time, which is why it's not approved. On the other hand, it's an approved drug for humans, and very few individuals are hypersensitive. Mary
Actually, the study I read showed it in the yolks for 6 days. They have a list of all sorts of medications used in birds, approved and not approved in usa or EU and what the residues in eggs were. Try this: http://www.farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/LayingHensEggResidues.pdf

It was fed orally, and for 21 days. there was no detectible levels in the albumen at all, and in the yolk only 6 days.

Actually, the study I read showed it in the yolks for 6 days. They have a list of all sorts of medications used in birds, approved and not approved in usa or EU and what the residues in eggs were. Try this: http://www.farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/LayingHensEggResidues.pdf

It was fed orally, and for 21 days. there was no detectible levels in the albumen at all, and in the yolk only 6 days.

Am I to assume we are still talking about Ivermectin? I sprayed my coop again yesterday and would like to treat with the ivermectin in stead of spraying them with permethrin.

New chicken owner here, no bug experience and need help! I just noticed I have teeny tiny light grey skinny mite like bugs in the cracks of my coop.

I quickly checked all my girls vents and everyone looks clean and healthy.

Could they just be wood mites? If so, do they bother the chickens?

I've been searching for a similar pic online but can't seem to find one. We've just had a heavy week of rain here.

What should I do?

Here's a pic, sorry it's blurry they are so tiny.
IMG_6581.PNG

Am I to assume we are still talking about Ivermectin? I sprayed my coop again yesterday and would like to treat with the ivermectin in stead of spraying them with permethrin.
Yes! Ivermectin.This study looks at ivermectin administered via feed. I did read the pour on label in the feed store yesterday and it says a 28 day withdrawl for meat animals... I would definitely try the ivermec for your birds! most of the breeders around me use it if their birds have a problem. ivermectin pour-on for the birds, and a spray called LD-44Z for a premises spray.

Back
Top Bottom