Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

Pics
Yes! Ivermectin.This study looks at ivermectin administered via feed. I did read the pour on label in the feed store yesterday and it says a 28 day withdrawl for meat animals... I would definitely try the ivermec for your birds! most of the breeders around me use it if their birds have a problem. ivermectin pour-on for the birds, and a spray called LD-44Z for a premises spray.

Do you know where I can find dosage amount for ivermectin. Someone told me 2 - 3 drops on the back of the the neck at the base for my rooster but they didn't ask if he was small or large. Just can't seem to find that information. I have a wide range of age and size birds.

I just received my pour on ivermectin order. I have read that this works well for most parasites inside and outside of the bird. Is there a wait time for eating the eggs? How much should I apply to the base of the neck?
Don't count on it treating any internal parasite, but it will treat lice:

This is the max amount o give when using the pour on

1 pound - 0.09 ml
2 pounds - 0.18 ml
3 pounds - 0.27 ml
4 pounds - 0.36 ml
5 pounds - 0.45 ml
6 pounds - 0.54ml
7 pounds - 0.63 ml
8 pounds - 0.72 ml
9 pounds - 0.81 ml
10 pounds - 0.9 ml
11 pounds = 1.0 ml
12 pounds = 1.09 ml

Okay to round up a little. :D

Note that these are the *max* amounts! If you follow the instructions on the label the numbers are half the ones shown above. Do not use less than 1/2 the amounts I have listed or it might not be as effective.

Don't count on it treating any internal parasite, but it will treat lice:

This is the max amount o give when using the pour on

1 pound - 0.09 ml
2 pounds - 0.18 ml
3 pounds - 0.27 ml
4 pounds - 0.36 ml
5 pounds - 0.45 ml
6 pounds - 0.54ml
7 pounds - 0.63 ml
8 pounds - 0.72 ml
9 pounds - 0.81 ml
10 pounds - 0.9 ml
11 pounds = 1.0 ml
12 pounds = 1.09 ml

Okay to round up a little. :D

Note that these are the *max* amounts! If you follow the instructions on the label the numbers are half the ones shown above. Do not use less than 1/2 the amounts I have listed or it might not be as effective.[/QUOTe

OK, thank you so much! I assume from what others have said that this will work on the mites and scaly leg mites. Is this your opinion as well? Also I'm thinking it would be a bad idea to use this on chicks. I should probably just spray them with the natural poultry spray and mamma will have been treated with the ivermectin?

I have mites and/or lice in my flock. All my chickens are bantams (except one), and I also have 2 broody hens sitting on eggs. I don't want to move the broody hens, they're on day 19 and I don't want them to abandon their nest. What kind of treatment should I use?

I just received my pour on ivermectin order. I have read that this works well for most parasites inside and outside of the bird. Is there a wait time for eating the eggs? How much should I apply to the base of the neck?

I had the same question, and 3 different local chickenkeepers said no withdrawl period (it was for adding the pour on ivermectin to water for ingestion as a yearly worming) and I'm still hesitant myself, as I am still treating my coop for mites and didn't want to stress them with both poisons, and I want more input from those with more knowledge.

I have mites and/or lice in my flock. All my chickens are bantams (except one), and I also have 2 broody hens sitting on eggs. I don't want to move the broody hens, they're on day 19 and I don't want them to abandon their nest. What kind of treatment should I use?
If you don't want to move your hens you could try giving ivermectin topically.

Back
Top Bottom