Topic of the Week - Raising People Friendly Poultry

I wouldn't say mine are extremely friendly but they are sure curious about people. I have approximately 21 RIR & 4 BR (2 Roos & Hens). When I go outside they come running. (Right up to my feet. But I am not allowed to touch until roost time.)

Maybe it's because I have so many. & didn't do much 1 on 1 time.

Last edited:
How best to raise chicks to keep them tame and comfortable around humans and what about broody raised chicks?

~ first of all, if you don't really love your birds, they won't ever be really tame. Not saying they all need names and you have to hug them and squeeze them and "love" them, no. But if you really do care about what happens to them, it'll be A LOT easier to tame them.
I won't say all the details about what I do to tame them - handle them gently, give them treats, etc etc.
Our second year raising chickens though, most of the EEs were pretty sickly. Me and my sister would put on big sweatshirts, bring them inside and let them crawl up our sleeve or chill out in our hoods :lol: we used this "mother hen" "technique" a little bit this year, and for the few chicks we were consistent with are becoming quite friendly. And the two year old EEs we still have from last year will all try and cram 6 or 7 chickens on my lap at once! :lau
As to broody raised chicks, in my experience it depends largely on tewo things: if the mother is tame, and the breed of the chicks. Calmer breeds like brahmas, cochins, OEGBs, etc, are quite easy to tame, whereas broody raised leghorns might never become fully tame. And if the mother is tame, and she shows her chicks that humans = treats and safety, they will tame down much more easily.

- How do you tame an adult bird?
~ I haven't had too much experience buying adult birds due to the risk of disease, but I would keep them in a small coop/run so I could easily catch them, and give them treats such as mealworms and apples.

- What about cockbirds? How do you establish the human vs cockbird "pecking order"?
~ OK, the whole " show em whos boss" thing doesn't work. Especially with cocks that are already aggressive/fearful. It validates the "fact" in their minds that you are a threat to them and their hens. They are significantly more difficult to tame than hens, and IMO never should be completely tame. If they are just slightly skittish around people it makes them less of a threat to people. Once a cockerel reaches manhood and starts crowing, trying to breed the hens, etc, I avoid handling except occasionally. Maybe once a day, sometimes not even that.

I'm new to raising chickens. I have 22 various breeds that we are hoping to enjoy as pets and laying hens. As a novice, I find the information on this site immensely informative. You all seem like nice peeps too! I'm going to subscribe to this thread, so I can glean all the tips I can get. Thanks!

I'm new to raising chickens. I have 22 various breeds that we are hoping to enjoy as pets and laying hens. As a novice, I find the information on this site immensely informative. You all seem like nice peeps too! I'm going to subscribe to this thread, so I can glean all the tips I can get. Thanks!

:welcome We're all glad you joined! :frow

I find they are easy to tame if they are rescue chickens.
They seem to know that you rescued them so they look up to you.
I also spend a lot of time with mine. So they follow me around the yard and fall asleep on my lap.
My chickens seem to love attention, and although they are not the smartest birds, they want to me loved.
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Each one is different, some squat for you and some run away. No rhyme or reason, one day they'll run next day they'll squat and let you pick them up. And the demon Crowley dominant barred rock bites mounts the youngest one Buff Orpington, and bites their wattles, and yet she runs away from me, I protect her.. and she does jump in my lap if I have food,then she'll sit and let me pet her in my lap. But if I reach down she won't let me pet her. Makes no sense. So when they get slightly aggressive, I intervene, so when I have to pick up the bad ones, I hold them very snug and stroke them, they submit. Kind of like a chicken time out. I love all,6 and they're different from day to day, patience and treats. Raisins, Lima beans, apple. My two barred rocks raised together hate to be held but love to jump, so I let them jump for their treats. Now they squat and let me pet them, but just once a day.
When they were 2 weeks to 8 weeks I had them in the house and put down a large sheet and opened the cage, and would rest my hand on the cage opening and they'd come over to me. Then they'd come out and jump and fly around.

Last edited:
Glad we found this thread! Our chicks, 11 of them are approaching 3 weeks old. They have been in the coop for a week now and are pretty much self sufficient. We open their little door in the am and they come pouring out. They run around the run having fun, a couple of perches, a log, nipple waterer, ping pong ball and a strawberry hanging from a perch they have ignored!

BB has given them a few meal worms but we think they are still a little small. The best times are when we take sand chairs and sit in the run with the girls. Now they walk all over us and some will climb up on out shoulder. We handle them as they allow and they seem to get more tolerant each session.
This was before we moved the chicks to the coop, they were transported from the brooder in
a small dog crate.

Raven, the mini lap Lab pretty much ignores the chicks.

Now that the sun is out more I will get more pics of the chick hour! This is FUN! BB

I'm having to ask a question. I have an olive egger rooster, who's 'feeling his oats' and wants to challenge me as flock leader. I'd like to keep this guy if possible. I've read some posts about immobizing the rooster. How does that work, pin him to the ground, tuck him under an arm, dangle him upside-down, what?

I'm having to ask a question. I have an olive egger rooster, who's 'feeling his oats' and wants to challenge me as flock leader. I'd like to keep this guy if possible. I've read some posts about immobizing the rooster. How does that work, pin him to the ground, tuck him under an arm, dangle him upside-down, what?
Definitely do not pin him or dangle him, tucking him under an arm would probably be best of those options. I never do this with mine as a form of domineering them, but I suppose as long as you're not causing physical or psychological harm to the bird and it works then it ought to be fine.

My experience in taming an adult bird:

My Yuengling came to me as a two year old bird that had never been handled. She was living on a farm and is pretty predator savvy (i.e. wouldn't let me within 10 feet of her). When I brought her home she was an absolutely wild girl, refused to sleep in the coop with the other hens, wouldn't come near me even with the yummiest of mealworms offered. Even after I kept her locked up in the coop/run for 3 weeks straight, she would roost in a tree if left to free range until roosting time, while the other girls returned to the hen house (though she did convince my red sexlink that trees were cool). Slowly but surely, she became more interested in what I had to offer. I never chased her and gave her all the space she wanted. I've had her for just over a year now and she comes running when I get home from work and squats for me as soon as she gets close. She doesn't always follow through and let me handle her, but it's a far cry from the skittish hen I brought home last April. It takes a lot of time and patience, and an understanding that they may never be complete lap birds.

Back
Top Bottom