Topic of the Week - When Do Pullets Begin Laying?

Pics
Like Toddyboy007 I have also been wondering... will I see eggs this year from my 5 month old pullets since the days are getting shorter (and no supplemental lighting in their coop)?

Came in from work this evening to this little (literally!) suprise in the coop

Small start but here we go!!

1f601.png
my Ancona was just practicing her egg song!! Can't wait until some more of my girls start laying. Still just have the one and its been a week and a half since she started. Even the others like her haven't started. They are all 20 weeks as of yesterday so ik it's still early.

Last edited:
One of my white leghorn girls, Rosey, laid her first egg today! I was working in the coop and she was hanging around, going in and out of the nesting boxes. I went into my other coop and heard her sing the full egg song. I waited and she didn't come out, so I opened the nesting box and sure enough, a little white egg. We were super-excited. I have a few dozen store bought eggs in the fridge and I am hoping they will be the last I buy!
Congrats! How old is Rosie?

GC 1 17wk 6days
GC 2 18wk 1 day
BA 1 18wk 5 day
possibly have GC 3 lay 18 wk 3day
(Have 13 eggs now)
Red lobes for 2-3 wks
Squatting for 2-4days
Checking out nesting box few times a day
Loud squawking

Hey all. I have 6 pullets beetween 18 and 16 week,not laying. They generally free range and seem quite happy eating bugs and whatever else they can. Ive noticed lately that they seem to be hunkering down in some tall grass and leaves and I'm worried that they'll feel more comfy there than in the nesting boxes. I decided to confine them to the coop and run for a while to reinforce the idea of home. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is a good idea. 1st time chicken keeper so I'm more or less guessing. Thanks

Hey all. I have 6 pullets beetween 18 and 16 week,not laying. They generally free range and seem quite happy eating bugs and whatever else they can. Ive noticed lately that they seem to be hunkering down in some tall grass and leaves and I'm worried that they'll feel more comfy there than in the nesting boxes. I decided to confine them to the coop and run for a while to reinforce the idea of home. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is a good idea. 1st time chicken keeper so I'm more or less guessing. Thanks

Sometimes they need a little help/encouragement when it comes learning where (we want them) to lay. They typically lay in the mornings to mid afternoon at least once they're bodies have adjusted to the process. Try confining them at least until a bit later in the day. You can also encourage them to use the boxes by placing mock eggs in the nests. I use wooden eggs and only had to do so once because I have hens of all ages that help show the younger girls. Some people use ceramic or plastic (even the easter eggs). Others use golf balls.

Back
Top Bottom