Topic of the week - Winter Chicken Keeping

I agree with you Bobbi, the chickens don't need a heat lamp they are well protected in the hen house at night without heat and our daytime temperatures in the Pacific Northwest are no where near as cold as yours are in Maine. If you look at the top of our coop in the picture above you can just barely see the bottom of our heat lamp which is there only to keep the hen hydrator from freezing at night. The heat lamp is 4-feet above the floor of the coop and we use a red, infrared heat reflector light bulb the chickens don't seem to notice at night. We also have a 40 watt lamp in the hen house that's on a timer. That 40 watt lamp turns on at 6:00 AM and off at 11:00 PM to give the hens 17 hours of light, otherwise their egg production drops off in the winter months. When it gets dark outside around 5:00 PM this time of year the chickens will remain active as long as the porch light is on at the back door, but when we turn that off the chickens go in their hen house. We are only using the heat lamp to keep the water from freezing and have concern about the lamp causing a fire. The Prima Heat Lamp seems to be a safer product then a conventional heat lamp.

I agree with you Bobbi, the chickens don't need a heat lamp they are well protected in the hen house at night without heat and our daytime temperatures in the Pacific Northwest are no where near as cold as yours are in Maine. If you look at the top of our coop in the picture above you can just barely see the bottom of our heat lamp which is there only to keep the hen hydrator from freezing at night. The heat lamp is 4-feet above the floor of the coop and we use a red, infrared heat reflector light bulb the chickens don't seem to notice at night. We also have a 40 watt lamp in the hen house that's on a timer. That 40 watt lamp turns on at 6:00 AM and off at 11:00 PM to give the hens 17 hours of light, otherwise their egg production drops off in the winter months. When it gets dark outside around 5:00 PM this time of year the chickens will remain active as long as the porch light is on at the back door, but when we turn that off the chickens go in their hen house. We are only using the heat lamp to keep the water from freezing and have concern about the lamp causing a fire. The Prima Heat Lamp seems to be a safer product then a conventional heat lamp.
For water, I understand. I use heated dog bowls, myself. Most of my chickens have pea combs and smaller wattles that don't hang in the water, but this year I have a cockerel with some pretty big wattles I'm a little concerned about. Will have to look more closely at your watering system.
smile.png

Bobbi, I've given more thought to your comment "this year I have a cockerel with some pretty big wattles I'm a little concerned about." The hen hydrator I use to water my chickens works well in this part of the country mainly because we have so few days below 32 degrees. But in colder climates I think it would be problematic for two reasons:

First, the systems only works when the water valves (nipples) are moving freely. If there is any ice present I think it would prevent the chickens from getting enough water. With a submersible heater element you could keep the water from freezing in the bucket, but you would need to use a metal bucket for safety.

Second, the chickens tend to play with the water valves which is fine; however, it makes a mess on the floor of the coop and some water will soaks into the pine shavings. My concern would be if your chickens feet are wet in freezing temperatures it may cause them serious harm.

Bobbi, I've given more thought to your comment "this year I have a cockerel with some pretty big wattles I'm a little concerned about." The hen hydrator I use to water my chickens works well in this part of the country mainly because we have so few days below 32 degrees. But in colder climates I think it would be problematic for two reasons:

First, the systems only works when the water valves (nipples) are moving freely. If there is any ice present I think it would prevent the chickens from getting enough water. With a submersible heater element you could keep the water from freezing in the bucket, but you would need to use a metal bucket for safety.

Second, the chickens tend to play with the water valves which is fine; however, it makes a mess on the floor of the coop and some water will soaks into the pine shavings. My concern would be if your chickens feet are wet in freezing temperatures it may cause them serious harm.
Thank you for that information. This may not be the best option for winter watering when the temps can often get below zero (although here it is, Nov. 28, and we still have green grass in the yard!).

-Do adult birds need additional heat (heaters, heat lamps) or not and if so, when? I.e. when is it TOO cold?

IMO, it is rare that a healthy adult LF bird needs heat, unless you're somewhere that gets below -30 F.
I bring my bantam and elderly fowl indoors when it gets below -20. They'd probably be just fine outside, but I'm a softie.
Heat lamps scare me so I avoid using them when at all possible.

- How do you prevent frostbite on your birds' combs and feet?

I purchase and hatch only breeds well equipped for cold weather, which takes care of most of it. Roosters with large combs just get brought in overnight when it's very cold.

- How to best kit out the coop (and run) for winter - ventilation, insulation, moisture management, etc.

I put plastic over windows that blow across roosts. My coop has enough openings I don't worry much about ventilation- just leaving one window uncovered works fine.

- How to keep their water from freezing.

I don't. Running electric out to the coop is hard, dangerous, and not the easiest way to keep water available. I just change out water several times a day and get water to them promptly in mornings.

- How to keep their eggs from freezing.

Collect often.

- Keeping the flock happy and amused when they are confined to the coop by heavy snow, storms, etc

Hanging lettuce heads keeps them entertained. My birds also have plenty of space, which is essential in preventing boredom.

Bobbi, our green grass is finally covered in snow with an ambient temperature of 30 degrees and wind chill factor of 13 we have blizzard like conditions outside. Our wonderful hen hydrator has proven its self to be only a fair-weather friend, so its back to the heated dog bowl for awhile.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom