Topic of the Week - Winter Egg Laying

Pics
Absolutely.  The biggest issue you face is if the shells are weak enough that they start breaking in the nest.  That makes a mess to have to clean up.  I'd rather cull a bird with such an issue than deal with yucky nest and eggs on a regular basis.  Wishing you the best with her.  Sounds like she's simply not metabolizing her nutrients well.  So, if you give her extra vitamins, it may, or may not help.  

Ok. Thanks for your help. It was really befuddling me.

My aseel breed hen (a very broody breed) has started laying again after raising chicks this summer. I don't supplement lighting and I'm surprised she is laying nearly every day now, five in the last week. Is there any chance she will become broody again after laying a few more eggs, even though its the middle of winter? Weather is mild here, cold but not as low as freezing or below and only between 7-8 hours of daylight each day. Has anyone ever had a chicken go broody in the winter or is this impossible?

Hi

I'm in the UK and have numerous broody hens, some very reliable ones, but I've never had one go broody in the winter yet. A couple of years ago my most reliable broody and her daughter had amassed a mountain of 47 eggs (all still edible thankfully) in a secret nest which I found the day after Boxing Day and neither of them showed any interest in brooding them....just kept climbing up the pile and dropping another one on the top! They had obviously been laying in there for several weeks, so in general I would say it would be unlikely for your hen to go broody now, even if you leave her a nest of eggs, but nothing is impossible. The thing I love about my broody hens is that they take time off laying during the summer when I have plenty of eggs, to raise chicks and then lay in the winter when many of the layers are having time off.

Good luck with her and I hope she is one of the exceptions that does winter brood.

Hi

I'm in the UK and have numerous broody hens, some very reliable ones, but I've never had one go broody in the winter yet. A couple of years ago my most reliable broody and her daughter had amassed a mountain of 47 eggs (all still edible thankfully) in a secret nest which I found the day after Boxing Day and neither of them showed any interest in brooding them....just kept climbing up the pile and dropping another one on the top! They had obviously been laying in there for several weeks, so in general I would say it would be unlikely for your hen to go broody now, even if you leave her a nest of eggs, but nothing is impossible. The thing I love about my broody hens is that they take time off laying during the summer when I have plenty of eggs, to raise chicks and then lay in the winter when many of the layers are having time off.

Good luck with her and I hope she is one of the exceptions that does winter brood.

What breed are your best broody hens?

@Werforpsu

My No.1 broody hen is an araucana cross....you would call her an EE I suppose. Her daughters and granddaughters are also good broodies but my no.2 broody is a silkie/pekin (bantam cochin to you) cross. Then I have numerous full pekins that I've only had 8 months that have raised a brood or two each and will no doubt perform well on that front next year and I even had an exchequer leghorn and her daughter co-brood last summer and a legbar. I should clarify that my pekins are not laying through the winter but my egg box is becoming increasingly green at the moment from the araucana/legbar crosses.

@Werforpsu

My No.1 broody hen is an araucana cross....you would call her an EE I suppose. Her daughters and granddaughters are also good broodies but my no.2 broody is a silkie/pekin (bantam cochin to you) cross. Then I have numerous full pekins that I've only had 8 months that have raised a brood or two each and will no doubt perform well on that front next year and I even had an exchequer leghorn and her daughter co-brood last summer and a legbar. I should clarify that my pekins are not laying through the winter but my egg box is becoming increasingly green at the moment from the araucana/legbar  crosses.     

Thanks! It's always good to know what works and what doesn't! We just ended up with feed store chicks this past year (out first year) and while they are good layers and very hardy in the cold so far, broodiness is not a trait that is bred into these girls! I want to buy some chicks next year that are reliably broody!

I have 3 white silkie hens that have been laying every day from 16 weeks. They are still laying daily. I keep a set of white christmas
lights on in the coop 24/7. Maybe they like the holidays.
smile.png

If you want a broody, silkies and bantam cochins are probably your best bet as both breeds are renowned for broodiness along with OEGB I believe although I have no experience of them.... but there is still no guarantee any individual will go broody and remember it takes time for them to settle in and feel safe. You can pretty much guarantee that they will not go broody when you want them to and when you give up hope or it is inconvenient, they will suddenly plop themselves down in a nest and refuse to move.

Back
Top Bottom