Tornado

Jwebb35

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
Central IN
Quick, I'm new to keeping chickens and I love my girls so much! It looks like we're going to be under a tornado watch what do I do to keep my girlies safe? Should I bring them inside? Pray for the best with them outside? Sorry if this is a silly question, I really don't know how to keep them safe though in this type of a situation 😬 thank you!

Presuming they have a secure coop to seek shelter in, I wouldn’t bring mine in for a tornado watch. Bad weather doesn’t seem to phase them too much and the stress of relocating them would be much harder on them than staying in their coop.

Quick, I'm new to keeping chickens and I love my girls so much! It looks like we're going to be under a tornado watch what do I do to keep my girlies safe? Should I bring them inside? Pray for the best with them outside? Sorry if this is a silly question, I really don't know how to keep them safe though in this type of a situation 😬 thank you!
I would leave them safe inside the coop. as knobhillfarm said, the chickens would stress out somewhere they haven't been before. that being said, if it were 3 or 4 chickens I would bring them in. we had a storm a few months ago and I had three chickens then and brought them inside a few hours inside the house so they could have a break from the wind.

I would leave them safe inside the coop. as knobhillfarm said, the chickens would stress out somewhere they haven't been before. that being said, if it were 3 or 4 chickens I would bring them in. we had a storm a few months ago and I had three chickens then and brought them inside a few hours inside the house so they could have a break from the wind.
I would leave them safe inside the coop if there are lots of chickens**

This is a legit question & I have thought about it myself.... But with the amount of birds I have, there is no way I would bring them all inside. Animals can usually fare pretty well for themselves during inclemate weather. Make sure they have somewhere dry and out of the wind and put your praying hat on that the 'nado stays away. I HATE tornado season. 😔

If the tornado sirens are going off unless your chickens are right there and easily catchable please do not be outside chasing them around. Take shelter. Also unless your coop is some sort of concrete bunker locking your chickens inside will only ensure their death if your coop gets hit by a tornado. They will not be protected by your coop from a tornado they will only be trapped in a possible tornado path. Animals that cannot be brought inside a basement or tornado shelter are safest when they have the option to flee if need be and the option of shelter. We let all animals out with barn doors open partially open so they have the option to take shelter or flee if needed.

If the tornado sirens are going off unless your chickens are right there and easily catchable please do not be outside chasing them around. Take shelter. Also unless your coop is some sort of concrete bunker locking your chickens inside will only ensure their death if your coop gets hit by a tornado. They will not be protected by your coop from a tornado they will only be trapped in a possible tornado path. Animals that cannot be brought inside a basement or tornado shelter are safest when they have the option to flee if need be and the option of shelter. We let all animals out with barn doors open partially open so they have the option to take shelter or flee if needed.
This. It’s what we did when I was a kid.

Back
Top Bottom