Total Chicken Newbie

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from Maine

Quote:
Glad I am not the only one who needs a chaperone. LOL

Welcome TO BYC!!!!! Maters.....by the way, I think mater leaves are not good for chickens.

I only let my tame chickens free range and it is a very supervised free range. I live in the country and I have my pens totally predator proof. I have 1"x1" mesh that runs along the lower part of my outside walls, bends at the ground and it continues along the ground. That way nothing can dig under the pen. If you want a pic let me know. That may explain it better. I have chicken wire on my roof (I use dog pens as my enclosures). Nothing can get in or out.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the welcomes! I did not see the Subscribe to Topic, so hopefully setting that up will keep me more on top of answers. I noticed some peeps from Ohio -- even Oberlin, which is Howdy Neighbor from here! (My acupuncturist is in Oberlin.)

The ladies arriving soon are almost 4 weeks. At what point can they be in their outdoor pen? One friend said about 11 weeks old was safe and to keep them in with the brooder lamp until then.

Good to know on the mater leaves, though I figure the little omnivores will head for the maters instead. They will be out of the garden until things are advanced enough not to be harmed unduly by their chicken-ness.

I can get some older hens to be part of the flock, too. Would this be helpful or not a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

Are tomatoes toxic to chickens then? Is there a listing anywhere of what else NOT to feed them or let them get at? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom