Toulouse Geese Thread

Pics

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16-17
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.

I have had my Toulouse goose for a week now and I have to say she is lovely. she is 4 months old and is beginning to feel comfy here. I also have an Embden gander, I hope others will share pics of their Toulouse and knowledge they have about this breed.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is my 2 Toulouse girls, they are almost 5 months old.
The other 2 are 1/2 Toulouse/Brn Chinese. They are about 1 1/2 years old.
Pictures were taken last month

What if it breaks inside ????
Do they die? do I need a vet visit ?
Do I understand correctly , you have seen these in your geese this year ?????
When a goose starts to lay, she will have a few weird eggs. Its normal. I have seen shell-less eggs in every type of bird we keep, even quail. If the egg breaks inside the mother, she may or may not have an issue, depends on her health and immunity. Take a deep breath, and just keep an eye on the laying birds. If they seem off, not eating, drinking or co-mingling then she may be in trouble. Broody birds may only leave a nest once a day. If she hasn't. make her get up! I will pick up my girl and take her to food and water.

Mine are 4 months old as of 8/5/17.and they follow us everywhere (on foot) and chatter away.
We adore them !
Have not gotten around to sexing each.
I planned on tying a colored ribbon loosely around each's neck, like a collar.
But they way they always nibble on things, I am not so sure it is a smart idea.

goslings 001.JPG

Four months ago !

TODAY STUFF 018.JPG

This was at 3 months, and they are even fuller today, wings well develped and they can jump up and fly a little distance.
My SO says one day they will fly next to the car when we go to town, LOL

Hi Aoxa - here's an extract from an article that I prepared for the Sebastopol Geese Lovers Forum with a chart you can refer to - hope it helps you

Pete
wink.png

In Geese the sex chromosomes can actually influence the phenotype of the bird as some of the genes for colour and pattern are sex-linked. For example the gene responsible for Buff is carried on the male chromosome only. To further complicate matters, in birds the sex chromosomes act differently than in most other mammals including ourselves.

In humans the sex of a child is determined by the father’s sperm. The genetic code being XY which means there are either X sperm or Y sperm. In females the genetic code is XX which means there are only X eggs. Therefore in an X egg combines with an X sperm then the code will be XX meaning a female. If another X egg combines with a Y sperm then the code will be XY – a male.

In birds the sex chromosomes are coded Z and W but act in an opposite manner to ourselves. In a Gander their genetic code for sex is ZZ and in a Goose their code is ZW. So in the case of our geese it is the female which selects the sex of the offspring. Her eggs are either Z or W in equal ratios. The male can only produce Z sperm. So if the Z sperm fertilises a Z egg then a male will result and if the Z sperm fertilises a W egg then a female will result.The Buff gene is a recessive sex linked genes. This means that it is carried on the Z sex chromosome. In order to show visually all the bird’s Z chromosomes must carry a recessive form of this gene. So in the case of a female whose genotype for sex is ZW then only one recessive gene that is linked to the Z chromosome is required for the effect to show visually. In the case of a male with two Z chromosomes then both genes must carry the recessive gene for the effect to show visually. If only one of the Z chromosomes carries a recessive gene then the male will carry (or be ‘split’ for) the recessive gene in its genotype but its phenotype remains the same. Using the Buff gene (G) as an example the genotype can be written and its phenotype interpreted.

Z,Z, G, G (normal male) – visually Grey
Z, Z, G, g (male split for buff) – visual grey but carries the recessive buff gene (g).
Z, Z, g, g (buff male) – visually buff as both Z chromosomes have the recessive gene (g, g).
Z, W, G (normal female) – visually grey.
Z, W, g (buff female) – visual buff as the only Z chromosome has the recessive gene (g).

Well I'll give it a try and at least won't be too discouraged if it doesn't take.
Would it help to close her in the goose house with her man made nest?

I'll definitely try to get her to move. I made a new nest in the goose house and flattened the other one, so we will see what she does.

They are SO cute! Oh now I want new little goslings so I can watch them grow up all over again!
I totally feel ya with the hidden eggs. I was so bummed that I didn't notice the GIANT nest full of eggs! And then I saw the nest this morning - no more guilt! Man that thing looks so hidden!!! What a hoot! Can you find the nest? LOL
Kuku, when you move the nest, try to put some of the old nesting material that she had in the new one, so it has her smell on it. Geese havea good sense of smell. And then her eggs....she may be ok. I don´t know whether shutting her in with them would work or not. She could just get stressed out...see what happens.

Well first of all over ten eggs is way too much espically 17 eggs! Take away the oldest (if you dont know the oldest then chance it)about 8 eggs should be in the nest.
If there are too many eggs in a nest then there is a big chance zero goslings will hatch.
Oh and keep the eggs a 8 and everytime she lays a new egg take the oldest away!
Eventually she will stop laying and begin to brood :) (only reason shes laying so many and not brooding on the eggs is because toulouse are good egg layers and need to lay eggs and eventually they stop laying and set,but she wont set because she wont stop laying eggs because its what this breed does).
So do what i said and leave 8 in the nest and grab the oldest egg (date the eggs with pencil or marker)and grab the oldest everytime a new one is added.
And eventually she will stop producing eggs and will finally set

Hope it helped ;)

I went out to my look in on my babies first thing and they are doing great. they were sitting together in the warmth of the brooder light. when I came in they got up and came over to me they were being quite vocal peeping and chattering. I checked water and food all was fine, the brooder was nice and warm. I knew they wanted something but wasn't sure what. they were side by side looking up at me and peeping. I put my hand down into the brooder, they walked right up to it. I was so surprised at how brave they were at only a week old. I proceeded to put my hand under the belly of the little male and he lifted his legs and rested his body onto my hand. I lifted him up and put him close to me and then reached in for the little female and did the same. They seemed to calm down so I unzipped my sweatshirt and put them inside, next thing I knew they were asleep, it was at that moment that I fell in love with my babies. I never imagined that they would be so responsive to me. I hope this means we can be friends when they are older.

Back
Top Bottom