Toulouse Geese Thread

Hi Kukupec, sounds like you´re getting things sorted there.
As for Pom, I seem to remember that you got him from a rescue and he was a house-goose, do I remember correctly? If so, this could be the reason he was sent to rescue...it could be that he views himself as equal to people, so has no respect.
Or it could simply be that breeding time has all but arrived and he´s just getting possessive.
A difficult one,but don´t ever run from him, or give him the idea that he won his ground, as he´ll just get more confident. It´s your ground, Standing there with your hands on your hips will make you look bigger, and there are some on this thread that will use a mop with handle..not to hit him, just to push out the way. It avoids direct contact and injury!
big_smile.png
Broom handles (or similar) are amazing things, you can herd a very large flock of geese with just a stick.
Yes you are correct =)
They told me he was picky about humans, never liked the owner of the rescue, but loved his foster mom. I'm not sure why he was turned in, sounded like he had a few homes, he just started as a house goose.
I don't actually "run", usually he will come right up to me and I will talk to him sternly and he stops just short of me, then I back away, still looking at him but still need to get places haha. If I step towards him he bites, if I back away usually in the opposite direction that I came because I needed to get by him he just hisses and then turns around and makes a ruckus. I have used a small part of fence, about 2'x3' to sort of herd him out of my way so he can see me but he can't bite me.
So do I need to get him to leave to know that >I< have won the ground?

But if you do pick him up, make sure you get him firmly so he can´t flap his wings or get your face! You can face him backward under your arm, if you see what I mean.
My younger gander is a bit edgey, being the first year for him, I just tell him to stop being a hissing sid and carry on what I´m doing, and he forgets all about it....and he hisses at my hubby, who then touches him, which makes the gander back off, not knowing what to do now
lol.png
but then mine have never done more than hiss.
I did try the football carry with him but he bites the back of my arm or my head lol.

I believe since he is starting to get more aggressive towards you because they become very protective of the females an hate all who come by them going into breeding season.
Your best bet with the gander is pick him up when nasty and hold him until he clams down. Then he will learn more respect that you are head goose not him.
Also you can put you arms out and flap them to show you are bigger than him and run towards him as well.
NEVER turn your back and walk away then the sneaky ganders will come up and bite you.
Breeding season make them morph into crazy protective nuts!!! Good Luck.
Do I hold his head so he can't bite? I just don't know what to do about the biting. Do I let him bite? Do I hold him by the back of his head so he can't get me? Do you swat them on the nose like a dog lol? I'm just not sure how to go about teaching him that he's not in charge without hurting him. Roosters who behave this way in my yard get a good kick and if that doesn't teach them they become rooster noodle soup by the end of the week. But Pom bites, and I don't want to hurt him.

My Toulouse and Chinese Geese drinking. One thing I don't like about geese is that they always muddy their water. At least they're not grass destroyers like chickens.

My Geese in the snow.

R.I.P Tom, the goose in the front. :(

Yes you are correct =)
They told me he was picky about humans, never liked the owner of the rescue, but loved his foster mom. I'm not sure why he was turned in, sounded like he had a few homes, he just started as a house goose.
I don't actually "run", usually he will come right up to me and I will talk to him sternly and he stops just short of me, then I back away, still looking at him but still need to get places haha. If I step towards him he bites, if I back away usually in the opposite direction that I came because I needed to get by him he just hisses and then turns around and makes a ruckus. I have used a small part of fence, about 2'x3' to sort of herd him out of my way so he can see me but he can't bite me.
So do I need to get him to leave to know that >I< have won the ground?

I did try the football carry with him but he bites the back of my arm or my head lol.

Do I hold his head so he can't bite? I just don't know what to do about the biting. Do I let him bite? Do I hold him by the back of his head so he can't get me? Do you swat them on the nose like a dog lol? I'm just not sure how to go about teaching him that he's not in charge without hurting him. Roosters who behave this way in my yard get a good kick and if that doesn't teach them they become rooster noodle soup by the end of the week. But Pom bites, and I don't want to hurt him.
The best thing is grab him up and get him under you arm and then grab his beak and hold it closed so he can NOT bit you or beat you with his wings. While you have his beak closed tell him NO BITE.. He will learn after a few rounds like that. You might get bit trying to do this but once you have him secure in your under arm then grab that beak as fast as you can!!! Hold him there for 5 minutes so he knows you mean business..

Hi, kukupecpec. You were asking about handling an aggressive gander. I had one, a Pilgrim. RIP Shadow :( He was such a good daddy to all my ducks. But when it came to humans, he became very protective. So a very prominent man in the exotic bird group, Tom Roudibush -- sorry, I'm spelling his name incorrectly -- he makes pelleted bird food, he told me how to handle Shadow gently yet firmly.

When a gander is "sneaking" up on you for a good pinch and twist, you turn around and let them approach. Then place your foot between his legs and give him a toss; not too hard. Just toss him back to knock him off balance. Ganders don't like it and may come back so toss again. They will retreat and learn the pecking order. You become the hierarchy!! I'm not saying that they will never try to bite again, but it hurts their pride and they will leave you alone for the time being.

You all have beautiful geese. I now have 2 Toulouse, a gander and a goose. Raised them from babies. And also have 2 sweet chickens and 3 exotic parrots.

Good luck with your ganders!! You are the alpha gander. :)
[/IMG]

[COLOR=0000FF]The best thing is grab him up and get him under you arm and then grab his beak and hold it closed so he can NOT bit you or beat you with his wings. While you have his beak closed tell him NO BITE.. He will learn after a few rounds like that. You might get bit trying to do this but once you have him secure in your under arm then grab that beak as fast as you can!!! Hold him there for 5 minutes so he knows you mean business..[/COLOR]

I will start working with him today! Dorky ganders gotta learn!

Hi, kukupecpec. You were asking about handling an aggressive gander. I had one, a Pilgrim. RIP Shadow :( He was such a good daddy to all my ducks. But when it came to humans, he became very protective. So a very prominent man in the exotic bird group, Tom Roudibush -- sorry, I'm spelling his name incorrectly -- he makes pelleted bird food, he told me how to handle Shadow gently yet firmly.

When a gander is "sneaking" up on you for a good pinch and twist, you turn around and let them approach. Then place your foot between his legs and give him a toss; not too hard. Just toss him back to knock him off balance. Ganders don't like it and may come back so toss again. They will retreat and learn the pecking order. You become the hierarchy!! I'm not saying that they will never try to bite again, but it hurts their pride and they will leave you alone for the time being.

You all have beautiful geese. I now have 2 Toulouse, a gander and a goose. Raised them from babies. And also have 2 sweet chickens and 3 exotic parrots.

Good luck with your ganders!! You are the alpha gander. :)
[/IMG]

Thank you for the advice! And for the luck =) I think I've got some great advice to start working with that naughty boy!

I would be inclined to make him move out of your way. I do this with mine, too. It´s good to remind them! My younger gander was feeling a bit full of himself standing guard outside his gal´s nest and just started hissing and trying to protect his patch, but I walked up to him with my hands onnhips, looks a bit like big wings if you look sideways
lol.png
, and he backed off, then fell down the bank. He´s not been any problem.

Back
Top Bottom