Toulouse Geese Thread

This is my first time raising geese. I have a pair of almost 12 week old toulouse. Do I need to clip their wings?
It really depends on where you live. If you are close to a road or a neighbor's property they might want to graze on you might need to do some wing clipping. I have 11 on 3 acres next to a highway and have never had them try to fly away. The will and do fly for short bits but mostly they are a bit too heavy to actually take off any distance. I have had them fly over the fence around their run when I don't let them out to graze fast enough. But otherwise they stay put.

So my Toulouse are back to laying again (yay!) But in January!! Today I went to make eggs for my 3 year old (she specifically asks for her "goosies" eggs) so I'm cracking away and find one that has a double yolk! Surprise! Lol Anyway it's never happened to us yet (has happened with the chickens before) I know this is a goose egg bc all our chickens lay blue and green eggs and this was the cream color of our geese and it was where they like to lay their eggs. My mother thinks it's fertile but I'm not so sure. We have 3 all together. 2 of them from a hatchery sexed as female one I got as an egg so I have no clue if it's boy or girl. It hatched last spring. So there's a possibility I have a male thrown in there. I looked online as to how to sex them and they all look the same to me.Maybe I wasn't pressing firm enough? I don't want to hurt them as the questionable one is super friendly amd eats from our hands and the 2 girls (they lay eggs for sure) are not and hiss at us every chance they get. They won't hurt us they just grumble a lot at us and don't come near. Does the egg look fertile or not?
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Hi,
I am looking for someone who has been raising geese for some time who I can interview on raising them. I want to do an article on why different people keep different types of poultry, but as I have not owned every type of poultry, i need some help.

So my Toulouse are back to laying again (yay!) But in January!! Today I went to make eggs for my 3 year old (she specifically asks for her "goosies" eggs) so I'm cracking away and find one that has a double yolk! Surprise! Lol Anyway it's never happened to us yet (has happened with the chickens before) I know this is a goose egg bc all our chickens lay blue and green eggs and this was the cream color of our geese and it was where they like to lay their eggs. My mother thinks it's fertile but I'm not so sure. We have 3 all together. 2 of them from a hatchery sexed as female one I got as an egg so I have no clue if it's boy or girl. It hatched last spring. So there's a possibility I have a male thrown in there. I looked online as to how to sex them and they all look the same to me.Maybe I wasn't pressing firm enough? I don't want to hurt them as the questionable one is super friendly amd eats from our hands and the 2 girls (they lay eggs for sure) are not and hiss at us every chance they get. They won't hurt us they just grumble a lot at us and don't come near. Does the egg look fertile or not?
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Can't really tell in that picture. I can't see the white at all. So I would go with not fertile. Do you have another photo?
Here's one that I took two days ago from our geese that just laid an egg and I think it is fertile...

Hi,
I am looking for someone who has been raising geese for some time who I can interview on raising them. I want to do an article on why different people keep different types of poultry, but as I have not owned every type of poultry, i need some help.
@Miss Lydia How long have you had geese and how many?

Back
Top Bottom