Toulouse Geese Thread

Toulouse and buff geese will get along very well together. I personally love having my dewlap flock mixed with buff and grey colors. It's very pretty.

Someone is giving me a young breeding trio in a week or so. I built a house inside the barn with a pop door out onto the goat pasture. The goats chased a few chickens who wandered into the goat yard and Im nervous if this is gonna work. It would be PERFECT if geese and goats got along well as the pasture is nice for them all and secure housing. I wonder how Im gonna keep the goats from crawling in the pop door. Im considering putting a temporary fence outside the pop door so they have their own small yard for a week or 2...they can all check each other out. Getting excited!

Someone is giving me a young breeding trio in a week or so. I built a house inside the barn with a pop door out onto the goat pasture. The goats chased a few chickens who wandered into the goat yard and Im nervous if this is gonna work. It would be PERFECT if geese and goats got along well as the pasture is nice for them all and secure housing. I wonder how Im gonna keep the goats from crawling in the pop door. Im considering putting a temporary fence outside the pop door so they have their own small yard for a week or 2...they can all check each other out. Getting excited!
That is a very good plan, they all need time to get use to each other. Don't forget pics when they finally arrive.

Oh no, I have an outcast gander and he is such a sweet, sweet guy! Gus, the biggest of the flock decided outcast should not come within 20 feet. So, of the seven geese, looks like Gus and the outcast are ganders.

I arranged water buckets with plenty of space in between so all geese can do their washing at the same time. Six geese eat their grain ration out of the same feeder, while outcast gets his ration behind their hutch and out of sight. Well, by now the others know what's going on, but are mostly too busy chowing down their own food.

So far, only Gus will approach outcast with his head down and charge towards him until the proper distance gets established again.

After the first gander fight, I did separate outcast. Well, he stayed outside the fenced in area and pretty much away from the others.
Took only a few days until outcast started to hang out with the flock again with just the fence in between. For a couple of days outcast even had a companion staying close to him all the time. Now all the geese are back in the same fenced in area. Outcast does keep a distance from the others, unless they all decide to fly/run.

Just curious, how this will develop and how many boys/girls I have.

Oh no, I have an outcast gander and he is such a sweet, sweet guy! Gus, the biggest of the flock decided outcast should not come within 20 feet. So, of the seven geese, looks like Gus and the outcast are ganders.

I arranged water buckets with plenty of space in between so all geese can do their washing at the same time. Six geese eat their grain ration out of the same feeder, while outcast gets his ration behind their hutch and out of sight. Well, by now the others know what's going on, but are mostly too busy chowing down their own food.

So far, only Gus will approach outcast with his head down and charge towards him until the proper distance gets established again.

After the first gander fight, I did separate outcast. Well, he stayed outside the fenced in area and pretty much away from the others.
Took only a few days until outcast started to hang out with the flock again with just the fence in between. For a couple of days outcast even had a companion staying close to him all the time. Now all the geese are back in the same fenced in area. Outcast does keep a distance from the others, unless they all decide to fly/run.

Just curious, how this will develop and how many boys/girls I have.
Do you know which one was his companion? Maybe you could separate him together with his companion? He´ll be a very sad gander without the other geese, and if you do have mostly females, the other gander doesn´t need all of them! After the crazy season they should settle again.

Thanks LivinginBrazil. My geese sure look much alike, so I am not certain which one it was. Only Gus is easy to identify. Besides being the largest, he also has what appears like dirty butt feathers. ;) Gus is kind of short tempered with me when I fill the food bowl. Has to be done quickly! I have not seen Gus bothering any other geese so far.
Outsider is keeping almost always a discreet distance now from the rest. That's how I can spot him. He is not in the least aggressive towards the other geese or me.
Two are a bit smaller and have very low voices. Could be females.
That leaves three more geese with hardly anything to identify them so far.

We'll be stretching a fence section again tomorrow, unless the weather fouls too bad. This will give us a chance to observe the critters up close for a longer time.

Back
Top Bottom