Toulouse Geese Thread

Actually it is just that the new goose pen is in direct line of site with my dining room window. I was sitting there having a cup of coffee and watching the geese. Feeling very much at peace with the world and a part of it as well with the overcast sky and the cool breezes. It was like watching a late 60's early 70's French or Italian art film. Now I think I will go see if I can find that old Michelle LeGrand album of the movie soundtrack for Les Parapluies de Cherbourg and just finish off this day.

Your so poetic jtn4248
wink.png

O.K. all you Goose Gurus out there in BYC Land. Quick question.

Does a female gooses bill change color when she is approaching egg laying like a chickens comb and wattles do?

Both Lydia and Pauline have developed bright orange/red bill coloration just today. This a.m. they had their normal orange bill and now they both have bright fiery orange/red bills. Sting still has his regular pinkish/orange/grey bill so I am guessing this is a female thing.

Oh, and by the way, Sting and Lydia tried to elope a little bit ago. They caught a good head wind and up and over the fence they went leaving poor Pauline alone and perplexed. So I had to go out and let Pauline join them and have an hour or so in the big field flying around and chomping grass.

Funny thing happened with the first molt of my 7 Toulouse. All have a bit of white around their bills now and some dark feathers mixed into their white bellies. Will make it easier to spot this year's one and only gosling when it gets the same size as the others with its pristine white belly and only gray around the bill. Is it normal for the color pattern to change? Look kind of cute with their speckled bellies! Oh, mine are not exhibition grade Toulouse.

I just went out to fill one of the goose pools and Sting, my gander, hissed at me for the very first time. The geese are about 6 months old. Does his hissing at me mean anything????? There was nothing different in the area so I don't know what triggered the hissing. I did not actually need to go into the pen to fill the pool so I don't know if he would have gone beyond that or not...hope not. Is there something I can do to reassure him that everything is o.k.?

I just went out to fill one of the goose pools and Sting, my gander, hissed at me for the very first time. The geese are about 6 months old. Does his hissing at me mean anything????? There was nothing different in the area so I don't know what triggered the hissing. I did not actually need to go into the pen to fill the pool so I don't know if he would have gone beyond that or not...hope not. Is there something I can do to reassure him that everything is o.k.?

Just don't let him think your afraid
smile.png
Stand tall and if he does approach you then be ready because you don't want to give him the chance. I'd start carrying a long pole I use bamboo When Sam is at is worst [breeding season] although he is already getting very protective with these new goslings. who are almost 4 months old. I keep him at bay by opening my arms wide if he acts like he might bite me. Today I had to push him with my boot to make him back off. It will come a time when Sting is going to test his limits it inevitable just part of being a gander.

Just don't let him think your afraid
smile.png
Stand tall and if he does approach you then be ready because you don't want to give him the chance. I'd start carrying a long pole I use bamboo When Sam is at is worst [breeding season] although he is already getting very protective with these new goslings. who are almost 4 months old. I keep him at bay by opening my arms wide if he acts like he might bite me. Today I had to push him with my boot to make him back off. It will come a time when Sting is going to test his limits it inevitable just part of being a gander.
Just went out to feed them and let them out to the range for a while and there was only the customary happy honking that seems to say "hurry up you stupid human" with no hissing at all. Of course this was all part of our routine and filling their pool was off schedule only because they had splashed most of the water out. So maybe that was it. I know he will "ganderize" me at some point...probably when mating begins in earnest. I just wish it could all be avoided. It is bad enough to have to deal with the challenge of a rooster but not with my sweet boy Sting. Oh, I do have a sort of golf club thing I carry around with me more for snakes etc than defending against birds. I would never smack any of them, chicken, duck or geese. But I would come in handy to push them away if I needed to.

Just went out to feed them and let them out to the range for a while and there was only the customary happy honking that seems to say "hurry up you stupid human" with no hissing at all. Of course this was all part of our routine and filling their pool was off schedule only because they had splashed most of the water out. So maybe that was it. I know he will "ganderize" me at some point...probably when mating begins in earnest. I just wish it could all be avoided. It is bad enough to have to deal with the challenge of a rooster but not with my sweet boy Sting. Oh, I do have a sort of golf club thing I carry around with me more for snakes etc than defending against birds. I would never smack any of them, chicken, duck or geese. But I would come in handy to push them away if I needed to.
I would never smack any of mine either but we know it's going to come to the place where he is going to have to respect you as leader. I don't care if they want to be protective but hey we all live together they ought to know we're not the bad guys. I have to use the bamboo pole to keep my geese from going after the dogs when they are all out together. Geese just have attitude. lol

Last edited:
Something new happened this morning while feeding Ricky & Lucy and I was hoping you guys could shed some light for me. I go out every morning & evening to feed them their treat for the day. This morning I was doing as usual sitting down & tearing off a head of Romaine. We were having a nice conversation while they ate. Ricky my gander always nibbles sweetly on my hands, arms clothes, etc. then he jumps up on my head and shoulder & flaps his wings honking!!! Hops down, nibbles some more then does it again but this time skidding down my back side Lol I can't lie I was a bit startled. Was he attacking me or playing??? Maybe something totally different.....if you catch my drift :p Either way I'm feeling a little abused HaHaHa!!

Back
Top Bottom