toWhat to do?

JBC RANCH

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Is there anything one can do with a 4 day old chick that can't poop. At least we think that is the problem. She seems to be straining but nothing comes out. Her butt is clean.

She isn't doing anything but standing and straining. She feels full in crowl.(spelling) and will drink.

Just started with chicks, but heard Apple Cider Vinegar, the organic kind with the stuff floating in it, not the off the shelf grocery store kind. 1 tbsp mixed with 1 gallon of water....soaking it's butt in warm water might help? Do a search under constipated chick on this site. Check in the Emergencies thread.

Thanks to all who replied. She died around 11:30, darn I had to lose animals. We ought to be used to it by now, as I was in dairy business for 17 yrs, fed out show lambs and steers for the kids, and raised show steers and heifers for several years. It is sure hard to take when you lose one so small and helpless.

I just found this thread, so sorry you lost one. Sometimes chicks get pasty butt which is when their backsides get pasted over with dried poo. It can be fatal but if you can soak/wash the poo off (often several times a day for a few days) they usually outgrow it. Applying olive oil, vaseline etc. after cleaning can help the next batch come off easier.
hugs.gif

Kittymamma, that is what is strange she had nothing on her butt. We had cleaned 4 of the 22 chicks yesterday and added organic asv to the water. She wasn't one of the 4. Her butt was clean as could be. As my grandpa always said, "The only way to keep from losing animals is to not have any."

Quote:
Your grandpa was absolutely right--I wish he wasn't, but.....Sounds like your little one probably had something internal going on and there's not much to be done about that, still hard though.

Back
Top Bottom