Toys for Chicks

My local feed stores only carry chicks through spring. I live in Northern Nevada. Can anyone recommend a farm that ships live chicks? I could drive to Sacramento.

Someone might have chicks at the CA state fair... think it is going on now in Sacramento.

This is my first time having chicks. I bought a huge 2 story hamster cage to start them in and it came with a hamster wheel. It is hilarious to watch a chick run in a wheel. I also put a teddy bear and a handtowel in for them to cuddle to. I need to hunt down my cats jingle balls to see what they do.

This is such a great thread! Thanks for all the ideas!
clap.gif

I go nuts with the "playground equipment"! I give them blocks of wood to climb on. I give them a 2" x 2" perch to teach them to roost. I add a small tub of sand so they can dirt bathe.

I hang an apple from a string and they play "tether ball" with it while eating it. (Screw a two-inch eye-screw into the apple to hang it from a stick placed over the top of your brooder.)

They get a fresh lettuce leave from time to time, as well as wiggly earth worms.

Never a bored chick in my brooder.
Would love to see photos!!

This is my first time having chicks. I bought a huge 2 story hamster cage to start them in and it came with a hamster wheel. It is hilarious to watch a chick run in a wheel. I also put a teddy bear and a handtowel in for them to cuddle to. I need to hunt down my cats jingle balls to see what they do.
Would LOVE to see a video of a chick running in a hamster wheel!

I put some of these ideas into my 12 day old chicks' brooder...they were scared to death! Went back in an hour later..they were all piled on top of one another on the opposite side. They are handled everyday and seem to have become MORE skittish with each day!

Back
Top Bottom