Chick Toys

Oct 11, 2023
Arizona
Does anyone know if my chicks want toys? I know that they only need food, water, and a heat source. I have three almost 1 week old, and three 2 weeks old. The three older chicks like to hop on top of the feeder and sleep there. I don't know if they wanted a roost, so i made a mini DIY roost out of cardboard and wooden dowels. They are learning to balance on it, and have a lot of fun learning. This made me think they should have toys, or different things to do. I saw online that i should try putting a tiny mirror in there, so i found a chick-safe mirror and let them play for a few 10 min sessions a day under supervision. (It could fall and hurt them) They love to look in the mirror and peck or try and figure it out. They also love to try and jump out of the box i have them in, and dig out the bedding. I think if i add more chick-safe toys, they will stay out of trouble and stop jumping/digging. I know jumping and digging is normal behavior, but i worry that they will get their feet caught on the cardboard on the bottom of the box, or get out of the box somehow when they jump. If anyone else uses toys or things like that, what do you use?

They'd rather have space to explore and things that allow them to do what naturally occurs to them, which includes the jumping and digging.

I don't think any toy beats giving them time outside in a safe enclosure, or bring the outside in by bringing in a pan of dirt and weed/grass clumps for them to dig through.

They don't really use toys but they would appreciate an opportunity to scratch. Perhaps a piece of sod from outside for them to scratch in. That would also give them a dose of the species of coccidia that live on your property which would allow them to develop resistance.

They'd rather have space to explore and things that allow them to do what naturally occurs to them, which includes the jumping and digging.

I don't think any toy beats giving them time outside in a safe enclosure, or bring the outside in by bringing in a pan of dirt and weed/grass clumps for them to dig through.
I’m worried about their immune systems. They are so little. Wouldn’t bringing them outside hurt them?

I’m worried about their immune systems. They are so little. Wouldn’t bringing them outside hurt them?
Many of us deliberately expose chicks to outside contaminants, whether by brooding outdoors (like me) or bringing in dirt, to help inoculate them against things like coccidiosis via exposure.

10 days old and having a blast:
early2.jpg

Many of us deliberately expose chicks to outside contaminants, whether by brooding outdoors (like me) or bringing in dirt, to help inoculate them against things like coccidiosis via exposure.

That is precisely why they have immune systems. They need to be exposed to things to fortify the immunity.
Chicks raised with hens, go afield from the first day or two. Furthermore, their gut is a clean slate. They need good gut bacteria and yeasts to impede the bad bugs from populating the system. To that end, the chicks will consume just a bit of their mother's feces which puts that bacteria in them.

They don't really use toys but they would appreciate an opportunity to scratch. Perhaps a piece of sod from outside for them to scratch in. That would also give them a dose of the species of coccidia that live on your property which would allow them to develop resistance.
Hi, new here and to all things chicken. (Y'all have been an unbelievable wealth of info without the bs. Thank you!!!!) Reading your comments about developing their immune systems, Im wondering about using leaves from my property as bedding in the brooder. Or will that be too much too fast? tia! I was going to use pine shavings but I have LOTS of leaves.

Does anyone know if my chicks want toys? I know that they only need food, water, and a heat source. I have three almost 1 week old, and three 2 weeks old. The three older chicks like to hop on top of the feeder and sleep there. I don't know if they wanted a roost, so i made a mini DIY roost out of cardboard and wooden dowels. They are learning to balance on it, and have a lot of fun learning. This made me think they should have toys, or different things to do. I saw online that i should try putting a tiny mirror in there, so i found a chick-safe mirror and let them play for a few 10 min sessions a day under supervision. (It could fall and hurt them) They love to look in the mirror and peck or try and figure it out. They also love to try and jump out of the box i have them in, and dig out the bedding. I think if i add more chick-safe toys, they will stay out of trouble and stop jumping/digging. I know jumping and digging is normal behavior, but i worry that they will get their feet caught on the cardboard on the bottom of the box, or get out of the box somehow when they jump. If anyone else uses toys or things like that, what do you use?
Nothing will keep them out of trouble!
I wouldn’t bother with toys, but they love jumping up on things - so I would give them a branch resting on something so they can practice their jumping.
They also love to dig. If you don’t give them something - dirt, sand, sod etc. they will just be digging in their food bowl!
Enjoy watching them play - whole afternoons can slip by just observing the fun!

Im wondering about using leaves from my property as bedding in the brooder. Or will that be too much too fast? tia! I was going to use pine shavings but I have LOTS of leaves.
You probably can, depending on what types of leaves. Wouldn't hurt to check and see if anyone knows if any specific leaves are toxic to chickens - I don't know any off hand other than poison oak/ivy being a no-no.

I have a mix of magnolia, willow, chestnut, maple leaves in my run.

Back
Top Bottom