Tractor supply ASIAN chicks

Ok ill answer this one!!!! Yes they are Asian blue, a new breed. There are not much info on these. But they lay large brown eggs, are very large chickens. Turn out copper heads, some black bodies, some with just black tail feathers. A very pretty bird, colors look black ,green according to the sun. Just a mixed breed some one come up with , like a mut dog. Straight run , sold at TSC. 1.99 per bird. Very good flock chicken for meat, or brown eggs.I've got some also.
Not , Asia Black. Not even close. Asian Blue!

Actually, white wing tips and penguin down are common features on chicks of breeds like Australorp. They molt to fully black. But if they were labeled "Asian", I'd presume that's what they are.

Do you know if male's have the white spots on their heads and females not like with black sexlinks?

Ok ill answer this one!!!! Yes they are Asian blue, a new breed. There are not much info on these. But they lay large brown eggs, are very large chickens. Turn out copper heads, some black bodies, some with just black tail feathers. A very pretty bird, colors look black ,green according to the sun. Just a mixed breed some one come up with , like a mut dog. Straight run , sold at TSC. 1.99 per bird. Very good flock chicken for meat, or brown eggs.I've got some also.

So is that what I have in my bathtub? Asian blues? Same question though, on these does the white spot on the head indicate male and the so!I'd black head indicate female?

Do you know if male's have the white spots on their heads and females not like with black sexlinks?

I don't think so. From Purely Poultry's description, they should be solid black as adults. That suggests to me that the staff grouped remaining chicks together as they often do and the signage was misplaced/forgotten. Headspot chicks with single combs could be barred Rock (yellow skin) or cuckoo Marans (white skin). Fingers crossed they aren't leftovers from a straight run black sexlink bin.

ETA: OR, they're the black equivalent of production red and anything goes -- they just throw assorted black chickens together with hybrid vigor in mind. If that's the case, it's just a rebranding of what they called "commercial black" a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Also could you plz give me any idea where to research the breed? Links if you have them or ideas will be great too.
Many thanks!

Yes me too!
I had never heard of Asian blacks til this thread....
And not a mother new breed for me..the asian blues!

Where can we see pics/learns about the blues?

I, too, purchased an Asian Black chick at Tractor Supply. They are not the same as the Barred Rocks and pictures show them to grow and be almost a solid black....I just figured it would be a "surprise" chicken. The one I have is a pullet and very docile - not a big talker like some of my others. I purchased one the day they arrived. The barred rocks look different as I have two of them as well. These are reportedly great egg layers and can double as a meat bird.
1f642.png
1f414.png

I don't think so. From Purely Poultry's description, they should be solid black as adults. That suggests to me that the staff grouped remaining chicks together as they often do and the signage was misplaced/forgotten. Headspot chicks with single combs could be barred Rock (yellow skin) or cuckoo Marans (white skin). Fingers crossed they aren't leftovers from a straight run black sexlink bin.

ETA: OR, they're the black equivalent of production red and anything goes -- they just throw assorted black chickens together with hybrid vigor in mind. If that's the case, it's just a rebranding of what they called "commercial black" a couple years ago.
I'm going to try to take better pics tomorrow. The black sexlink pullets have darker feet and the asian labeled have yellowish feet with black shadings on them. I'll take pics of their feet too.It wouldn't be that bad if they are left over straight run black sexlinks. I had wanted one male for the 5 pullets..

Back
Top Bottom