Tractor supply barred rock gender mystery

RayneForhest

Chirping
Jun 7, 2015
So I got a couple chickens this week. I don't know anyone exact age... but I know they're between 2 and 2.5 mos old. They're hatchery quality, so the normal rules are out the window to go by the standard bar test. I think one may be a cockerel and one ... hopefully... a hen. What do you think? I'm usually good at spotting the difference... but these have me scratching my head in confusion.
20180608_173625.jpg

Attachments

• 20180608_124313.jpg
    20180608_124313.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180608_124149.jpg
    20180608_124149.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 29
They're hatchery quality, so the normal rules are out the window to go by the standard bar test.
Not really. Unless they're sexlinks instead of Barred rocks, the roosters will still have two copies of barring while the hen carries only one copy. Roosters are still paler than hens.

Agree with gator75. 2 cockerels.

I've read that tsc stock can sometimes be mixed, and even though they're marked as barred rocks, like mentioned, their legs are pale and the bars sometimes look more like spots. I was hoping that maybe there was some leghorn in there to account for the comb... but... I know that's just wishful thinking.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to assist me.
I got some cochins, dominiques, dark brahmas (all pullets... that's an easy one) and two spitzhaubens. They're all also a mystery for the most part. I think the dominiques are pullets (oh how I hope they are) but the cochins are probably roos.
The spitzhaubens... only one has a little wattle development but no bumps on the nose crown area. They were hatched the last of March.

I'm thinking cockerel at this point. :) Are you sure he's a Barred Rock? Something doesn't seem right to me, although it could just be my imagination.

~Alex
They could easily be cuckoo Marans instead. That would account for the white legs. And hatcheries sometimes mix up chicks that look similar. You'd think they would be far too organized for that kind of mistake, but it happens.

Do cuckoo marans follow the same sex linked influence as the barred rocks? Anything is possible, I guess. I've never heard of the TSC getting that breed...but I guess it depends on the hatchery they outsource with. I got the spitzhaubens because the hatchery sent them to him by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom