Tractor supply barred rock gender mystery

The chickens as babies
received_1877589865605031.jpeg
received_1870617422968942.jpeg
received_1870617419635609.jpeg
received_1877579208939430.jpeg

I'm so glad I came here to ask opinions. You guys are so much more knowledgeable than fb. I didn't want to wade thru all the bogus opinions. You guys are awesome
I must agree, BYCers are so much more helpful. I've noticed the exact same thing about FB poultry groups.
They could easily be cuckoo Marans instead. That would account for the white legs. And hatcheries sometimes mix up chicks that look similar. You'd think they would be far too organized for that kind of mistake, but it happens.
That would tend to make more sense, as this little guy just doesn't strike me as a Rock. :) Mistakes happen no matter how meticulous you are! :hmm

~Alex

If you ever decide to buy any barred variety of chicks again, purebreds can be sexed as chicks by the white spots on their heads. Males will have large, irregular spots. Females will have smaller, clearly defined spots that don't run down into the neck.

Once they've gotten wing feathers it is also easy to tell purebreds apart-- males will be much lighter because they have two copies of the barring gene. Females only have one copy and will be darker and less bright in color.

I'm so thankful for everyone's opinions and advice. I had considered rehoming, because I don't need so many roosters but now I'm invested in seeing how they turn out.
20180610_194621.jpg
20180610_194623.jpg

Back
Top Bottom