Tractor supply chick

Mar 1, 2021
I ended up buying 7 chickens from tractor supply 6 of which were easter eggers. One was a bahantam who was week and was given to me as a pair with the sissor beak easter egger.
ive had these chick's for about four days I've lost one suddenly and one on its way out that they gave me free with severe scissor beak. she didn't have an appetite before and now she's just wilting away.

that being said the five of them are doing great... except now...
One is doing some weird stuff that out of four years owning chickens and raising them ive never came acrossed this kind of problem.

I just now noticed this chick doing this not too long ago... she's been chirping nonstop for a few hours, like she's in distress. I'd go in and check on her and she would quiet down but looked fine.
I just noticed these weird circle spells.. and her head twisting. im scared its a disease of some sort... maybe meriks but doesn't seem like it? All tractor supply chick's are supposed to be vaccinated... I understand they can still get it ect. But if thats the case my tractor supply has been giving out diseased chick's? Unless it's some kind of neurological issue... clean bedding clean water and food.
I was reading about wry neck... The scissor beak chick seemed to do this with her head but never in circles Excesivly. She was also missing an eye so would bump into walls... the other four have not been doing this.
She also seems to have trembling legs when I pick her up and hold her. She's been keeping her eyes shut even when walking.

I do not think it's a Thiamine deficiency as they are on roosterbooster which has thiamine in it ect.

Im going to pull the shavings to see if shes allergic

I'm so frustrated right now.

That is way too early for Mareks symptoms, which usually occur after 5 weeks or more in age. It sounds more like a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, which could cause wry neck or neurological symptoms. Running in circles or backwards is also part of the wry neck symptoms. Rooster Booster is just a brand, so what product are you using? Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster and other products have some E, but most try to give a 400 IU softgel of human vitamin E daily. This could be from shipping stress during transit to the feed store, since we are still having cold weather, or it might be that they were in shipping a long time. I would give the vitamins, a little egg, and try to dip it’s beak into water often. I hope that the chick survives.

That is way too early for Mareks symptoms, which usually occur after 5 weeks or more in age. It sounds more like a vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, which could cause wry neck or neurological symptoms. Running in circles or backwards is also part of the wry neck symptoms. Rooster Booster is just a brand, so what product are you using? Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster and other products have some E, but most try to give a 400 IU softgel of human vitamin E daily. This could be from shipping stress during transit to the feed store, since we are still having cold weather, or it might be that they were in shipping a long time. I would give the vitamins, a little egg, and try to dip it’s beak into water often. I hope that the chick survives.
So last night I checked. It's actually b12 with vitimin K. I thought I had the poultry cell one. So I'm ordering that one now. That beings said I've read the instructions on how to give it blah blah blah. Do you think she had an over does of vitimin K since it doesn't flush out of a system? I've read it can cause blood clots causing strokes... but it still doesn't explain why the sissor beaked chick did this with her head too.
I will try the vitimin E and thiamine deficiency

Back
Top Bottom