• Midnight Majesty Maran Females

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • Black Jersey Giant Females

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • Starlight Green Egger Females

Votes: 37 38.5%

• Total voters
Pics
So my older chickens have been going down hill lately and I think 10 have passed in 2 weeks. The local farmer took probably 20 of the pullets that I have hatched before for himself. I don't mind just giving them to him because he lets me hunt and then I don't have to buy meat which will cost a lot of money.
Also over half of that batch have turned out to boys, which I am taking to a local livestock auction for flytyers that want a chicken dinner and flies to catch lots of fish, like trout, largemouth and smallmouth bass, and chain pickerel. Trout season is coming up and people really want beautiful rooster feathers to make flies. So most of those new chickens I don't have anymore. I am down to 82 outside.
I did another hatch about a week and a half ago and only got 23 chicks to actually hatch and live out of 55 eggs set. NOT good. And I know probably half of them will be roosters, that will become soup or be sold at the livestock auction. This is like the worst hatch I have ever had. So... my numbers have gone down a lot. The 12 from tractor Supply though are still doing really well. They went for there first time outside yesterday, in the sunny and 75 degree weather. They are learning to eat grass and worms! ❤

So I have been looking around, calling to local tractor supply's, Milton and Muncy, Pa because they are close to me and asking if they have chicks. They do!

Milton had like a Straight Run week this week and only had one assorted bin of pullets. I was thinking about the assorted pullets but called Muncy - the one closest to me. They have:
Rhode Island Red - Straight Run
Cornish Cross
Ducks
Starlight Green Egger 🤩🤩 - Females
Sapphire Olive Egger 🤩🤩 - Females
Prairie Bluebell Egger 🤩🤩 - Females

So far I'm really impressed with my three Starlight Green Eggers and three Sapphire Olive Eggers! There temperament is great, not at all flighty and great around the other baby chicks. I would really recommend them to everyone! I have also heard really good things about Prairie Bluebell Eggers from people on here and now that they are females is really great!
I also found someone to take care of my ducks - they have a pond and until they want to eat them they can live in their barn and by the pond - the coop they are taking up can hold 20 chickens from my chicken math work. I was afraid the ducks will kill the chickens if I left them in the coop with them because they have an terrible temperament.
Also a coop that can hold like 70 birds only has 18. My one coop is full - also another coop that has 10 birds when it can hold up to 45!
They have a half an acre run along with 1 1/2 acres of my fenced in yard they can free range.
As you can see I have plenty of space for them - they will be happy here. I am thinking about it because these breeds are so great! And my mom really loves the sapphire feather patterning - Loves the blue eggs and looks of Prairie Bluebell Eggers and I have been hunting them down!

So if you would like to join me again on my hopefully next Tractor Supply journey, please do join me!
Expect lots of pics if I get them.
I will try to update and get more pictures for you guys on the first batch. 😁 Please feel free to give some information on the Prairie Bluebell Eggers or the other two breeds! I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Back
Top Bottom