Tractor Use

jbtcajun

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
My chicks are in 1 tractor near the house.
Soon I will be getting more tractors and Hens that will be in the field to free range.
Will they return to the tractor they were trained in?
Will they defend from birds that belong in another tractor?
Can the tractors be kept in a line about 10' apart or should they be spread out?
Looking to grow some market eggs and have sooooo many question; its different from just having a few hens.

My chicks are in 1 tractor near the house.
Soon I will be getting more tractors and Hens that will be in the field to free range.
Will they return to the tractor they were trained in?
Usually
Will they defend from birds that belong in another tractor?
Depends on the breed/individual personality but usually not.
Can the tractors be kept in a line about 10' apart or should they be spread out?
They can
Looking to grow some market eggs and have sooooo many question; its different from just having a few hens.
The one thing to consider is when you move the tractors, don't move them too far or they'll return to where it was located and may sleep on the ground there.

Making the tractors different colors may help them find their own after the move, just like with bees.
You may get some drift occasionally but nothing to fear.

What I do with the ones in the yard is move them the length of the tractor on Tuesday and Thursday..
They dash towards the house and range around it.
I am guessing these field chicks will probably rush to the tree line and the trees in the field and range from there. I will have several feed and water station in the open to attract them.
Any advice anyone has on free ranging and free rang behavior will be greatly appreciated.

They will occasionally range into the field but not far. They prefer to hang out near brush and woods to hide from aerial predators.

Some breeds, like cornishX may not be so wary but most of mine are quite wary of predators. When I range meat birds they get picked off often.

Also, chickens don't like to be in the sun much when it's above the 70s.

Back
Top Bottom